You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Alpha Levels Adjustments no longer nest correctly in Affinity Designer V2

Alpha Levels Adjustments, no longer apply correctly when nested below a mask in Affinity Designer V2. I'm opening documents in V2 and all my levels adjustments from V1 no longer work. This particular adjustment is designed to remove partial transparency, and remove anti-aliasing. The only way to get them to work is to put them above the layer I want to apply the adjustment to, but this is not possible for masks, as they cannot be grouped without losing the mask effect. Hope this makes sense? Can anyone help or offer a work around?

It would help to have a screenshot including the Layers panel to show your problem. And also to have a .afphoto .afdesign file with the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, ,,, said:

A workaround in your example document is to stack the Levels above the Mask instead of inside the Mask.

Unfortunately this work around isn't very convenient, as when you want to apply multiple masks to the same layer, when stacking the levels adjustment above the mask, you have to apply the same levels adjustment to all of them, and cannot customise the levels adjustment to a particular mask. Can someone from Affinity let me know if they've seen this, as this has pretty much rendered all my past work non-functional. 

2 hours ago, IncognitoMode said:

Unfortunately this work around isn't very convenient, as when you want to apply multiple masks to the same layer, when stacking the levels adjustment above the mask, you have to apply the same levels adjustment to all of them, and cannot customise the levels adjustment to a particular mask.

Here's another workaround. Better than nothing until the bug is fixed.

Convert the Mask to a greyscale Pixel object and give it an intensity-to-opacity mapping in Blend Options (see screenshot). That Pixel object will act as a mask when mask-nested in an object. Any adjustment can be nested in the "mask", with the adjustment affecting the "mask's" colour channels instead of directly affecting alpha.

Test workaround 2.afdesign

1038173602_Screenshot2023-02-19at21_37_19.thumb.png.92a8ef7a7659962850ea0f6bf8075c46.png