You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush keeps changing everytime mouse is pressed

Since using the Beta version of Photo (since yesterday) I have been having annoying problems with all brushes, be they selection, dodge, burn, custom  or normal paintbrush. I do not have the 'Always show crosshair' ticked, so I should not see the crosshair but I do. Every time I select a brush, it starts off as a crosshair even though it is a large brush. If I press Caps Lock, the crosshair becomes lighter but remains a stubborn  crosshair. I can change the brush size using CTRL and ALT but when I release these buttons, I get the cross hair back. Then, when using a brush, once I have released the mouse I get a small brush circle, then when I  use the same brush in another part of the image and release the mouse the brush circle becomes larger. On the third use of the brush I get the crosshair back again. As said before this happens with all types of brushes. It is extremely frustrating.

When going back to the non-Beta, normal, V2 Photo I do not have this problem. The brushes act normally and try as I might, I, thankfully, can not replicate the same problem. Can you tell me if I should be doing something else? 

I am using Windows 11

15 hours later......

I have just opened the Beta version of Photo and the gremlins have gone...for now!

I hope they do not return but I would like to know what to do if I get the same problem again.

Sandi

Edited by Sandi
update

• Staff

Hi Sandi,

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce this. The app is behaving correctly for me. I suspect if you encounter it again a restart of the app is likely to solve it. If you do manage to find some reproducible steps to get it back then please do let us know what steps you're taking.

It's happening again. Exactly what happened in my first post. I have rebooted twice and still the same problem occurs. I do not seem to be able to use any brush now. Getting really frustrated now.

I wrote the above sentences 3 mins ago and now brush working fine. I have no idea what is causing it and am just waiting for it to go off again.. I am going to play around for a minute to see what might be causing it.

Ok I think I have it semi sussed it out...the problem seems to be with the Dodge brush. I do not usually use dodge and burn brush (and did not think I had used it prior to the first event happening) when editing but occasionally there may be one little are I may use the brush on.

If I start editing with ANY other brush first, then all seems well. I have just experimented using several brushes and then try the burn/dodge and sponge brushes before AND after other brushes (yes, the image looks a right mess!!) Now, NO brushes work after selecting the burn, dodge or sponge brushes. I then have to close everything down and start again. I hope someone else can replicate this and sort it out.

Sandi

• Staff

Hi Sandi,

Are you able to get a quick screen recording demonstrating the behavior you're seeing please? I've just tried this myself and I cannot reproduce it. If you could also attach a copy of the brushes you're using that would also be helpful.

What I think might be happening, is the brushes you're using for Dodge/Burn set the Blend Mode to be something other than Normal. This is being retained when switching to the regular brush and not changing when you select a new brush (presumably because the brush isn't designed to switch blend modes).

If you can get a screen recording of the entire screen I should be able to tell from that.

Hi Sean

I have enclosed a recording. At first I am trying to show that using the selection brush is normal. Then when I use the Dodge/Burn/Sponge brush, each time I press the mouse somewhere different, the size changes automatically. What i forgot to show was that when I use the CTRL+ALT to change the size of brush I get the cross hair back. Hope this helps

Sandi

The only way I can replicate the Brush Size changing, is through the Dynamics setting of Size>Random (since you're using a mouse). Using a pen tablet this could be done with pressure.

Click on the More button in the Context Toolbar for the brush(s), then Dynamics. See if there's any setting under the Size Jitter. If so reset it to zero.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I had the very same "problem", the solution was like stated above by Ron P. Maybe this feature is configured different in the beta as I also didn't notice it before.

3 hours ago, Ron P. said:

The only way I can replicate the Brush Size changing, is through the Dynamics setting of Size>Random (since you're using a mouse). Using a pen tablet this could be done with pressure.

Click on the More button in the Context Toolbar for the brush(s), then Dynamics. See if there's any setting under the Size Jitter. If so reset it to zero.

1 hour ago, Arachnida said:

I had the very same "problem", the solution was like stated above by Ron P. Maybe this feature is configured different in the beta as I also didn't notice it before.

5 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Thankyou Ron and Arachnida

Well...that worked a treat!!  So thankyou both very much for the help. So far, so good I have played with as many brushes as I can and kept swapping to the burn dodge set and now they all work as they are supposed too.

Your very welcome. :)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD