You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running Affinity Publisher 2 v2.04 on Windows 10.

I copied some text from Microsoft Word (a story I have written). I wanted to see how Affinity handled the warning to readers. Experimenting with type sizes using the Verdana font I noticed an anomaly in the second paragraph at 16 points. I'm not sure why this justification glitch is happening.

Please look at the image and afpub file to see if this is a known issue. Other point sizes justify correctly. Although full justification looks quite odd.

Stoneydale justify left.jpg

Stoneydale justify left.afpub

5 minutes ago, Michael S Harvey said:

I'm not sure why this justification glitch is happening.

Because the Spacing section has [No Change] for the Last line outdent. The 0 (zero)mm setting is inherited from the Normal Paragraph Style.

222587510_ScreenShot2023-02-14at7_24_59AM.png.513b392c3074c850caa3ced442f09eeb.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Because the Spacing section has [No Change] for the Last line outdent. The 0 (zero)mm setting is inherited from the Normal Paragraph Style.

True.

However, what I see as the problem is that the "." after the word "violence" is hanging outside the text frame. If I replace the "." with a "," the same happens. However, if I replace it with any other character (even punctuation marks like ";") then the justification takes the word "violence" and the punctuation to a new line.

I'm not sure which problem @Michael S Harvey was meaning.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

True.

However, what I see as the problem is that the "." after the word "violence" is hanging outside the text frame. If I replace the "." with a "," the same happens. However, if I replace it with any other character (even punctuation marks like ";") then the justification takes the word "violence" and the punctuation to a new line.

I'm not sure which @Michael S Harvey was meaning.

Fascinating and extremely curious. It does appear to be related to the optical justification issue using the font setting. Although turning it off for all paragraphs creates its own open quote glitch.

12 minutes ago, Michael S Harvey said:

It does appear to be related to the optical justification issue using the font setting.

For me, turning off Optical Alignment for that paragraph did not make a change, and the "." stayed outside the Text Frame. So I'm not sure that's what it's related to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1