You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you give us an example of what you mean? Spelling generally affects words, not syllables, so I'm not sure exactly what you're doing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for that clarification.

The answer may depend on whether you use macOS or Windows.

On Windows, the words that you Learn are saved in a binary file named dictionary.propcol, which has an undocumented format and which we do not know how to read. So you cannot recover a copy of those words.

On Mac it may be different, as spellchecking is more integrated with the system's functions. I do not know enough details, but I do not think you can recover the words there, either. Someone who uses a Mac may know more.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

On Mac it may be different, as spellchecking is more integrated with the system's functions. I do not know enough details, but I do not think you can recover the words there, either. Someone who uses a Mac may know more.

@fotis575 On macOS the learned words are saved to a spelling dictionary in /Users/username/Library/Spelling/. Just look for the most recently updated file in that folder because its name will depend on the language. Mine is en_CA for English Canada. It's a plain text file so you can review it but be careful editing it directly. Editing it and failing to alpha sort it properly will result in issues and editing it while other programs are accessing it can produce issues. I have edited mine during testing but I always do it without any other programs running and after saving I immediately reboot.

You don't need to edit this file to remove learned words. If you accidentally added "michael" to the dictionary and regretted it, just right click "michael" in any document and choose Unlearn from the menu.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

5 hours ago, Murfee said:

On my Mac the file is called LocalDictionary, this only contains words that I have added as learned words

LocalDictionary isn't used by Affinity - that's the file used by apps that don't use language-specific dictionaries. If you have System Settings (formerly System Preferences) > Spelling set to Automatic by Language then Apple's own apps like Mail and Notes will use LocalDictionary. If you change System Settings to a specific language then it will use a language-specific dictionary and not LocalDictionary.

Affinity always ignores LocalDictionary and will use or create a file for the language you're using. For US English it will create a file named en. For English Canada it will be en_CA. For English UK it will be en_GB. This file will be shared by macOS apps if you change the system setting from automatic.

Cheers

image.png.1ab809e5497aee1170a620df8579fffc.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

11 minutes ago, Murfee said:

I haven’t changed any language settings

What language have you told the Affinity application to use, both in Preferences (General) and in the Character panel (Language, Spelling) or in the Text Style?

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, Murfee said:

I have never needed to change any, I am on British English

But what are the settings? Do they say En-GB, or do they say System or Default or something like that?

-- Walt
PC: