You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing master page doesn't change document pages

After watching the Smart Master Pages tutorial, I think I understand how applying different master page layouts to a document page quickly changes the layout of the document page.

But editing a master page doesn't seem to automatically change the document pages already using that master. I decided to change running heads on my spread from flush right to flush outside. Doing this to, say, "Master Page A" didn't automatically re-align the running heads on the document pages dependent on Master Page A. Can anyone fill me in on how this works?

There may be a problem with the Text Frame on Master Page A conflicting with the Paragraph Style for the Running Heads. Alignment is something I would do with Paragraph Styles.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I'm not sure I understand. Whether the running head is styled or not in the master page, shouldn't its properties be reflected in all the document pages dependent on the master page? And when it changes on the master page, should the change be reflected in all the dependent document pages?

23 minutes ago, Rob SF said:

Whether the running head is styled or not in the master page, shouldn't its properties be reflected in all the document pages dependent on the master page?

Changes to the size or placement of a Text Frame should propagate from a Master Page to its document pages. 

Changes to text that you've added to the Text Frame generally wouldn't. That text is part of the document page, not part of the Master Page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

My master page has three Text Frames: one for the body, one above for the running head, and one on top outside edge for the folio. If I change the format of the folio, it changes on all the dependent document pages. But if I do the same to the running head text, nothing happens. I take it this is because the folio is automatically generated text, whereas the rh is static? Though I'm still not sure why that should matter.

I'm wondering if there's something about layers, or maybe placeholder frames, that I need to understand better. For instance, when I make a completely new master page with a text frame on it whose only difference from the original is that it has two columns, pulling this down on top of a document page doesn't re-flow the document page body text into two columns as I expect. It just adds another 2-col text frame on top of the one that's already there on the document page.

18 minutes ago, Rob SF said:

My master page has three Text Frames: one for the body, one above for the running head, and one on top outside edge for the folio. If I change the format of the folio, it changes on all the dependent document pages. But if I do the same to the running head text, nothing happens. I take it this is because the folio is automatically generated text, whereas the rh is static? Though I'm still not sure why that should matter.

Let's say you have a frame on master A which is applied to pages 1 and 2, and on page 1 you've added some text while the frame is still blank on page 2. Then you go to the master and add some text to the frame. That text will appear only on page 2 because you've already customized it on page 1.

18 minutes ago, Rob SF said:

I'm wondering if there's something about layers, or maybe placeholder frames, that I need to understand better. For instance, when I make a completely new master page with a text frame on it whose only difference from the original is that it has two columns, pulling this down on top of a document page doesn't re-flow the document page body text into two columns as I expect. It just adds another 2-col text frame on top of the one that's already there on the document page.

Applying a new master page to an existing page will add its layers to that page, not replace them. If you want to change a 1-column page to a 2-column page, you'd need to edit the frame on its current master, not apply a new master to it.