You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import ¶ styles when placing text

A two-part about importing text.

Can I import a Word document into Publisher, where all of Word's ¶ and character styles have styles of the same names in Publisher, but with Publisher's formatting, rather than the original document's?

And, related, I'm losing italics when I apply a paragraph style, even if the definition is to leave italics alone with the formatting. Or am I misunderstanding the little dash in the box next to "Italic" in the paragraph definition?

Thanks much.

9 minutes ago, Rob SF said:

Can I import a Word document into Publisher, where all of Word's ¶ and character styles have styles of the same names in Publisher, but with Publisher's formatting, rather than the original document's?

The styles from the Word document will be imported, too. You will then have Publisher's default text styles and the styles from Word, with different names.

After that, you could use Find and Replace to locate text with a Word text style and replace the style with the corresponding Publisher text style. How long that will take will depend, of course, on how many text styles are involved.

11 minutes ago, Rob SF said:

And, related, I'm losing italics when I apply a paragraph style, even if the definition is to leave italics alone with the formatting. Or am I misunderstanding the little dash in the box next to "Italic" in the paragraph definition?

That will depend (I think) on (a) how italics were applied and (b) how you're applying the paragraph text style.

For (b), if you apply the paragraph text style by right-clicking on it in the Text Styles panel, then you have several choices:

image.png.81ff1a740eef29d3f7d000c9df22ef20.png

You can Preserve Character Formatting, or Preserve Local Formatting, from those choices. Character Formatting would (I think) preserve Character Text Styles already applied to the text. Local Formatting would preserve direct usage of some settings as Italic, Bold, etc.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...
On 2/9/2023 at 2:13 PM, Rob SF said:

I have a client who decided to change font after the book was mostly typeset. I am struggling with finding a way to replace the font family without removing italic or other formatting. It seems that any of the style replacement setting that change the font also remove the italic etc even when the style has a lot of "no change" set.

What am I missing?

2 hours ago, Clif Graves said:

I have a client who decided to change font after the book was mostly typeset. I am struggling with finding a way to replace the font family without removing italic or other formatting. It seems that any of the style replacement setting that change the font also remove the italic etc even when the style has a lot of "no change" set.

What am I missing?

If you used Paragraph Styles for the book then all you would need to do is change the Font Family in the Paragraph Style's Edit Text Styles Window. The Italic and Bold local formatting should remain Italic and Bold.

ScreenShot2023-07-14at8_58_45AM.png.4a16b0141b595dc6f57db022bf82ae06.png

Best practice would be to have made Character Styles that would be applied to those bits of text. Best Practice would be to have pretty much every piece of text in the book having a Paragraph Style (and Character Style if needed) applied.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.