You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aff Publisher - Endnotes numbering out of sequence - won't update.

Hello,

I've chosen to use Endnotes Vs Footnotes I wasn't too concerned with adding the Endnotes in a haphazard manner since I read the numbering sequence could be updated. Apparently that's not so simple (for me at least). My Ednote page BEGINS with Endnote 9 - then a few notes later the number goes to 2 etc - several number are repeated as well). I've followed what Help Docs say - but the #'s on Endnotes page do not update. I also saw info saying Endnotes would be updated during Export process - I exported book - reviewed PDF of Endnotes page - the numbers are still messed up. I've been refering to Help Doc on this page: https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/index.html

End-of-book endnote numbering

When endnotes are configured (on the Positioning section of the Notes panel) to appear at the end of their book, their numbering will continue across chapters if you also set Restart every to Book in the panel's Numbering section. For example, if the first chapter's endnote bodies are numbered from 1 to 4, the second chapter's would then continue at 5, and so on.

Automatic and manual updating

While editing a book, numbering of global lists and end-of-book endnotes occurs only when you manually request it.

To manually update page, list, note or all numbers:

1. On the Books panel, select the chapters whose numbering you want to update.[ I SEE NO CHAPTER #'s under 'Book' tab in left panel - but in my Sections window I see all chapters listed ]
  2. From the Panel Preferences menu's Update Numbers submenu, select Page Numbers, List Numbers, Note Numbers or All Numbers. [I did this part - no change in numbering ]

SO - suggestions please? Do I delete all Endnotes then redo manuelly?

TIA - John 

37 minutes ago, Sun2Son said:

I've been refering to Help Doc on this page: https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/index.html

Note that you have pointed to the beginning of the Help, not to a specific page. You cannot use the address from your browser's location bar. You must copy the URL from the navigation frame (left side of window), or from the results list, or from the "additional info" links at the bottom of a page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Are you using separate chapter files? Or is everything in one file?

Did you set Restart to Book in the Notes panel, as mentioned in that Help page?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi, we'd need to see the document to offer specific advice but there are reasons why endnotes could be numbered out of order from what you expect.

First, turn on Text > Show Special Characters so that you can see the endnote brackets which are shown only when endnotes are in a separate frame. It's really easy if you click around to add text outside of the brackets which might mess things up.

Second, ensure you have Document-Wide selected in the Notes panel. Without this you are possibly creating multiple separate sets of endnotes. If it's not selected, select it, click in one of the endnotes, and then choose Revert All Endnotes to Document Settings. Then click in the endnote frame and Ensure the numbering is set to start at 1.

There are other things you could try but this should be a good start.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hello Again Walt.  Thx for respsonding. Yes, I forgot URL goes to generic Help Page. Even when you drill into topics the URL does not change - so I can't 'save' URL for particualr pages - which means I have to redo the 'search' / drill down process each time I want to review that spacific page - not a fan of that system frankly.

Seperate Chapter files:  I'm guessing no - just chapters in differnt Sections.

Restart to Book setting: Yes that is set.

MIKETO 

Thx for responding. 'Seeing' the DOC - I can't figure out how to attach a screenshot on this platform - and not sure if I knew how to attach AP file you'd want to plow through 200+ pages.

'Brackets' - They ARE tricky - and I've tried being careful - but ended up with Endnotes 'overlapping' - meaning 2 entries intermingled - several instances of that. That may have been due to trying to format notes as they were added - and having cursor in differnt position when returning to content - but I'm guessing. 

"Document Wide" setting : Yes - it's set to that

"Revert All Endnotes to Document Settings. Then click in the endnote frame and Ensure the numbering is set to start at 1." - Will give that a try - THX!

As always - I appreciate the help!

51 minutes ago, Sun2Son said:

Even when you drill into topics the URL does not change - so I can't 'save' URL for particualr pages - which means I have to redo the 'search' / drill down process each time I want to review that spacific page - not a fan of that system frankly.

You just have to copy/save the URL by capturing it from the search results. For example, after doing a search:

image.png.fa4e401d3cd3455b65a350e949394952.png

1. Right-click
  2. Save the link or
  3. Copy the link

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, Sun2Son said:

Even when you drill into topics the URL does not change - so I can't 'save' URL for particualr pages...

At the bottom left of the online help page you should see a set of 4 buttons, the rightmost one of which copies the link to the clipboard. You can use that to paste the direct link into a reply here.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7