You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Maintaining True Color on Instagram Upload

Depends on how you upload your photos there, aka in which image format JPG/PNG and with which embedded color profile or no color profile etc. - So without knowing what settings you've used for creating your photos, it's hard to tell why you may see color shifts there then on Instagram.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

My Affinity Photo Software only gives JPG options and of them it's auto selected for JPG (Best) which I keep. I upload from my computer directly to instagram (no phone). I think the color format is RGB/16 (this is on preselect in the covert screen in the document menu). I've never used the convert screen in the document menu. Should I be using this (pressing covert)? 

2 hours ago, Nikon Girl said:

My Affinity Photo Software only gives JPG options and of them it's auto selected for JPG (Best) which I keep ...

What color profile is used inside APh for your photos (what is associated with your documents here, sRGB, AdobeRGB, CMYK ...)? - If you have all left as default and your in APh used color space profile is sRGB then, there usually shouldn't be any visual difference on a by APh exported JPG when previewed in another software which uses and expects the default sRGB color space (gamut).

However, you can make sceenshots in order to show via comparison images, how it looks in APh and then in Instagram. Further check fow the JPGs look elsewhere on other software here. Is there then too a visable difference in colors (a color shift)?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, Nikon Girl said:

Dear Representative,

It seems when I upload my photos to instagram, there is a degree of color shift. Can this be prevented from using any particular settings in Affinity Photo? Thank you.-Naima

In the export dialog, look at the  "Advanced" section. These two settings usually prevent colour shifts:

• ICC Profile select: "sRGB..."
  • Check "Embed ICC profile"

sRGB.jpg

6 hours ago, Nikon Girl said:

My Affinity Photo Software only gives JPG options and of them it's auto selected for JPG (Best) which I keep.

If you mean the file format choices in the Export window, note that in AP V2 the top unlabeled item that says "JPEG" is actually a popup menu, so if you click on it you can choose from the full range of supported export file formats, including PNG, GIF, TIFF, & so on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7