You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bulk switching from Affinity Designer 1 to Affinity Designer 2?

You should definitely back up your AD1 files so you have a safety net. Then open the originals in AD2 when you next need to work on them - I don't think there's any need open and save all your files in bulk.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

4 hours ago, Humbucker said:
4 hours ago, Humbucker said:

bulk switch all of these file to AD2

Anyone have any negative experiences doing this?

I think the question should be does "Anyone have any positive experiences doing this?

What's your logic to even consider bulk converting them now rather than doing it to individual documents as and when the need arrives?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 1/21/2023 at 6:43 PM, carl123 said:

I think the question should be does "Anyone have any positive experiences doing this?

What's your logic to even consider bulk converting them now rather than doing it to individual documents as and when the need arrives?

Hmm. Upon opening the app the first pop-up asks if you want to bulk switch all files. I didn't. But I'm thinking it would generally be ok.

Do you know what issues are known thus far? Is there a thread of angry hornets I should be aware of here somewhere?

Low flying bacon finder. Sleeptime 23hrs a day.

7 minutes ago, Humbucker said:

Hmm. Upon opening the app the first pop-up asks if you want to bulk switch all files. 

Do you mean this pop-up?

customcontent.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, Humbucker said:

Yup. I have enough pro-apps to know, this is a no on first brush.

That pop-up is not referring to your V1 documents. It is regarding any custom assets, brushes, styles (etc) you may have added/imported to V1 over the "years"

If you say yes, those custom assets, brushes, styles (etc) will be copied over to V2 - Saving you the trouble of individually importing them again

7 minutes ago, Humbucker said:

Quick noob question, If I don't quote you, did you still get pinged I responded to your reply?

In my case yes, but it depends on an individual's notification settings

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

That pop-up is not referring to your V1 documents. It is regarding any custom assets, brushes, styles (etc) you may have added/imported to V1 over the "years"

If you say yes, those custom assets, brushes, styles (etc) will be copied over to V2 - Saving you the trouble of individually importing them again

Ahh! In that case, where can I click to get that pop up again? I would like to import that stuff.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

In my case yes, but it depends on an individual's notification settings

That must be the Following a thread notification. Thanks!

Low flying bacon finder. Sleeptime 23hrs a day.

You can follow the instructions from jmwellborn in this thread to reset that pop-up

9 minutes ago, Humbucker said:

Have you experienced any bugs with a V1 file moved to V2?

Personally no, but I always work on a copy of my V1 document just in case.

I also intend keeping V1 installed (for many months) whilst V2 irons out any bugs that may, in the future, force me to have to use V1 again temporarily.