You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why fonts were changed from Publisher into a PDF?

My first 4 page Publisher document has text in Helvetica and several photos.

When I export it to a PDF the fonts get changed to what looks like Times Roman, but the font palette shows "?Arial". Of course, there is text reflow screwing up my layout.

Then, I tried to make a copy of the original file, all the text in the original AND copy document have the same text changes. Now I have to go and change all the text back to Helvetica in every photo caption! Will this happen again after I do that. How to prevent these automatic text changes? Very frustrating and time consuming!

Hi, I think you mean that the text is Helvetica in your document but a serif font like Times when exported. If this is the issue, what do you have selected in the Embed Fonts list in the Export dialog, toward the bottom?

image.png.fac4a21bae8c90ecc5b89fdaea0978e6.png

But then you said all the text in your document changed. If this is the case, then it's not an export issue and the above setting isn't the problem. What font did it change to?

If you're using paragraph and character styles, you can simply update a style to change the font for all text with that style.

You can also use Find and Replace to search for all uses of a font, such as in your captions, and change them to another font.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

MikeTO, Thanks for your suggestions. When exporting to PDR, my Embed Fonts shows "All Fonts".  I did change all the Times Roman(?) text boxes back to Helvetica the hard way... one text box at at time. Today when I exported that file to PDF, the fonts stayed the same. I'm happy, but what gives?

I did save one PDF that looks like the text is Times Roman. And that original Affinity document shows "?Arial" as the font. What gives?

IF this happens again, I'd like to know what the cause is. 

If you make a document in Publisher using Helvetica it should still be Helvetic when exported, this is about as basic as it gets.

Try creating a quick test document with some Helvetica text and export it. What is it in the PDF when you open the PDF into Publisher? If it's not a match, please upload the afpub and pdf here for review.

Thanks

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

13 hours ago, DesignNorth said:

I did save one PDF that looks like the text is Times Roman. And that original Affinity document shows "?Arial" as the font. What gives?

That comment confuses me about your workflow.

You mention PDF, and you mention "original Affinity document". An original Affinity document, for Publisher, would be a .afpub document. And if you created a .afpub on your system then you would only be able to select fonts that were installed there. But your mention of "?Arial" indicates that Arial is missing in the document, and the only way that could happen is if the document came from some other system, or was created earlier on your system and then Arial was uninstalled.

So I'm both confused, and curious, what you mean by "original Affinity document".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Hello @DesignNorth,

If you include a file with illegal fonts, they will generally not be recognised correctly by the softwares. You should therefore proceed as MikeTo has indicated.

If you see ’? Arial’, it means that this font has been strangely uninstalled from your operating system, or that your system uses a corrupted font. I invite you to reset all your fonts on your computer. Then install all the free fonts provided by the manufacturer of your operating system.

In the meantime, you can paste all the text content of your 4 pages into an ASCII editor to remove all styles (including fonts, sizes, colours, etc.) and then copy the text from the ASCII editor into Affinity Publisher and start the formatting again.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?