You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer cannot open PDF files containing embedded fonts correctly

Unfortunately, this is not a bug.

The Affinity Suite simply has never implemented support for using fonts embedded in a PDF, and users must have the proper fonts installed. I'm sure there are many Feature Requests in the Feedback forum to implement this support.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This is not a bug.

The PDF file should contain all the text as curves. The creator of the PDF needs to export it properly.
This is a rule of sorts.

If you leave the text as it is, chances are that fonts are missing on the target system (except for common fonts like Arial).

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

17 hours ago, JeffreyWalther said:

The PDF file should contain all the text as curves. The creator of the PDF needs to export it properly.
This is a rule of sorts.

From what I've read, majority of people disagree with you, saying that outlining fonts is no longer needed, and is mostly an ancient practice.

Example: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/convert-fonts-to-outlines-when-is-absolutely-needed/td-p/8490863

What people should actually do is embed fonts.

If you leave the text as it is, chances are that fonts are missing on the target system

Doesn't matter at all if the font is embedded.

Of course it would have been better to have fonts in curves for editing, but not needed for printing unless 20+ year old RIP is used.

4 hours ago, Blake_S said:

Doesn't matter at all if the font is embedded.

That's fine for display of the PDF. For editing, though, the app you use to edit must have support for using the embedded fonts. And Affinity does not provide that support.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I believe embedding fonts would anyway require the font(/s) license in the target system, specially for the product's commercial usage, but don't quote me on that... I would have to agree that the font embedding is ideal for certain cases. But I have found the situation (many times) where even before sending a first file, the print company would set the requirement of all fonts being converted to curves ("outlines"), despite being a PDF (specially, those print places of the hyper cheap kind). The best workflow for quality is "packaging" the print job (in InDesign, you can do that), where not only the font but other matters will get packed. Outlining the font (converting to curves) can make the text lose a bit of quality (it thickens a bit, kerning might change, etc), and you lose certain features that an actual font provides, even just as a product for display. Anyway, for editing in the target system, it's more usual in the industry to provide an AI or EPS, but because it's Adobe's format with Adobe's tools (fiercely protected walled garden, the file formats being the major guardians). For other companies, those formats are a bit of a nightmare, thus they need often to provide the files as editable PDFs.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.