You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer, exporting PDF with Pantone tint

Hi,

I'm exporting designs to pdf for print. All the designs have only Pantone colors, but one of the designs has a Pantone color with 30% tint. Everything else exports fine in Pantone, but the the Pantone tint changes to CMYK during export. All the designs are exported with same settings. Any idea what's happening here?

Thanks!
Joona

1 hour ago, Leijoona said:

exporting designs to pdf for print

What exact export preset or setting are you using?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

So, I did a few quick export tests, and a conversion from spot to cmyk happens if:

• the spot tint have been achieved by using opacity, rather than the actual Tint slider, 
  • and the export PDF preset thus needs to rasterize such objects, like PDF/X-1 and X-3, as they cannot deal with opacity otherwise
  • and also if a layer effect that affects the fill has been applied to the object, like inner shadow, because that will cause rasterization and conversion to CMYK in any case (a long known bug!)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

34 minutes ago, Leijoona said:

Here's a file for testing.

Strange, but got it working.

1. Make PANTONE 7499 C Global

2. Rename Spot to PANTONE 7499 C, because the name was empty

3. Assign PANTONE 7499 C (from the Swatches panel) to the diamond

4. Use the Colour panel to make it 30%

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

I have the exact same problem here with my design. I'm using the Pantone 2311 CP (I also tried with 2311 C). When I export in PDF/x-4 my design with the Pantone 75% tint, it turns to CMYK. Can someone help me ?

I tried to follow the advices that were given before, and it worked with the Pantone 7499 C, but it didn't with my color.

Thanks

On 1/4/2023 at 8:55 AM, joe_l said:

Strange, but got it working.

1. Make PANTONE 7499 C Global

2. Rename Spot to PANTONE 7499 C, because the name was empty

3. Assign PANTONE 7499 C (from the Swatches panel) to the diamond

4. Use the Colour panel to make it 30%

Hi, 

I have the exact same problem here with my design. I'm using the Pantone 2311 CP (I also tried with 2311 C). When I export in PDF/x-4 my design with the Pantone 75% tint, it turns to CMYK. Can someone help me ?

I tried to follow the advices that were given before, and it worked with the Pantone 7499 C, but it didn't with my color.

Thanks

1 hour ago, THIERRY.S said:

I'm using the Pantone 2311 CP (I also tried with 2311 C). When I export in PDF/x-4 my design with the Pantone 75% tint, it turns to CMYK.

It appears you used the "Pantone Bridge" palette which results in CMYK (and no spot colour swatch). If you choose the "Pantone Formular Guide Solid" it works as wanted.

v1105 pantone.afpub    v1105 pantone.pdf

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, THIERRY.S said:

The creation and managing of colours in Affinity is still a joke. Not sorry to say that.

The following Pantone colours are spot right from the start: Metallics, Pastels & Neons, Formular Guide Solid and Goe. You see a spot added in the Swatches panel, when picked.

Maybe there are faster ways to create a spot from a specific Pantone Colour that has no spots in the Swatches panel.

1) Add a document palette.

2) Select the Panone 2311 CP from the Pantone pulldown.

3) Add current fill to your document palette.

4) Pick Add Global Colour from the Hamburger menu of Swatches panel.

5) Select Swatches from the pulldown in that window and from there Pantone 2311 CP.

6) Click Spot checkbox and rename the colour to PANTONE 2311 CP and then click Add.

7) Delete the non-spotted colour.

Or Add a Global Colour and use the colour values (if you know them) and make it spot.

What a joyride ... not.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta