You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

save picture in library of Foto's

This is how I do it.

My photos are uploaded from my camera to Apple Photos.

I use File>Open, to bring photo in to Affinity Photo

After making all my edits in Affinity Photo, I Export photo to Finder>Pictures

Open exported photo in Preview, select Share box from top left tool bar, choose Add to Photos

Apple photo's opens automatically, when i connect my camera, but then i close Foto's  immediately. Then I open my pictures in Affinity, make edits and export them to finder>pictures.

After that I import the pictures in  Foto's.

(When I should use 'share' I loose important information about the picture)

This is what I do, but my question is: are there better possibilities?

fransroefs:

What information are you losing when you use share & what export format (png, jpeg, etc.) are you using?

Some export formats do not support embedded metadata or icc color profiles. Also, if the format supports it, Affinity Photo's export options allow you to enable or disable this info by clicking on the "More" button in the export panel.

PhotoNewbie:

If you are using a recent version of OS X, you don't need to open Preview to use the share > Add to Photos feature. In Finder, open the Pictures (or whatever) folder, select one or more photos or other image files, control-click on one of them & from the popup contextual menu, choose Share > Add to Photos. As long as all the selected files are in a format Apple Photos supports, the "Add to Photos" item appears.

Another way to add photos or images in supported formats to Apple Photos is to drag & drop them onto the application's icon in the Dock. That will launch Photos & add the items to the "Last Import" album.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Drag files from a Finder window showing the contents of the folder where you saved the exported photos. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The easiest way to use Affinity & Apple Photos is to allow Photos to import your photos from your camera. You can then use the Affinity photo editing extensions from within Apple Photos to edit them non-destructively, just like with the editing tools built into Apple Photos. You can also use Affinity's Media Browser or the Open > Sidebar Media > Photos browser provided by OS X to open photos from the Apple Photos Library in Affinity Photo, edit them there, & (optionally) export them to the folder(s) of your choice.

Keep in mind that Apple's Photos app is specifically designed by Apple to prevent applying destructive edits (ones that cannot be undone later) to any media file stored in its libraries. Affinity's export feature is designed to conform with that -- any edits done in Affinity effectively create a new, independent version of the file that a user may or may not want to export to a format Apple Photos (or other apps) can use & then import it into the Apple Photos Library as a new item.

Affinity Photo 

It is cumbersome, but it conforms to Apple's design goal of making their Photos app's libraries a place to store the original copies of media files non-destructively, safe from accidental destructive edits.

Affinity Photo 

Here I'am again R.C.R.

I've  shared a picture from Affinity Photo to Apple Foto's.

Then I look in Apple Foto's at the info and become the info: no camera- and no lens information.

That's a pity!

Second question: is the picure, that i can see in Foto's somewhere on the hard drive after sharing from Affinity Photo?

This has all been covered in other topics. Photos are not "shared" from AP to Apple Photos. They can be imported into Photos' libraries by exporting them from AP in one of the formats Photos can use, but that is not the same thing as sharing. AP has options to include metadata in the exports or not, & it varies depending on the export format.

Likewise, where the photos are stored in Apple's Photos app varies depending on its settings, either in its libraries or as referenced photos stored outside those libraries in some other location(s). Typically both the libraries & the other locations are in the user's Pictures folder, but either or both could be located somewhere else, including on external drives.

Affinity Photo 

If I might just add some observations here; actually you can use Share from within Affinity Photo to send an edited image back into Apple Photos; File > Share > Add To Photos.
Images sent to Apple Photos like this do not show up in Apple Photos ‘Recent Imports’ tab but you can find them in ‘All Photos’ tab at the top of the left Side Bar. Also they will loose any camera info.

If you use ‘Export…’ to get an edited image out of Affinity Photo you need an intermediary destination first like for example the Desktop. Then either drag & drop the exported image onto the Apple Photos icon in the Dock or from within Apple Photos; File > Import. And the image will be shown in the ‘Recent Imports’ tab of Photos. With this method the camera info will remain intact with the image. Sadly Apple Photos chooses not to share all this info with us when we click 'Get Info' once in Photos but it is there!

Personally I think the problems are not with Affinity Photo but down to Apple’s Photos app. In what possible universe could Apple Photos be seen as an improvement or worthy successor to iPhoto, let alone Aperture.
We all need an Affinity DAM so badly!

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

markw,

Thanks for educating me about the File > Share > Add to Photos option in Affinity. I had not noticed it until you mentioned it. Like you say, it doesn't import camera info or appear in the "Last Import" album. As for why it strips the camera info I'm just guessing but assuming the File menu share options are provided by an OS X API, it could be that all of them use the same format. If so, since including some camera info for Mail, Messages, Facebook, etc. sharing could be considered undesirable from a privacy standpoint, Apple decided to remove all of it for that reason.

I also noticed that native .afphoto files are brought into Photos as jpegs, even new ones that have not yet been saved & have nothing in them besides a shape like a rectangle that has not been rasterized. I have only tested this with a few files, so this may not always be what it does, but it seems like the menu share options are intended only for quick exports with "lowest common denominator" settings, so to speak.

Regarding Photos vs. iPhoto, as I understand it Apple focused on eliminating some of the shortcomings of iPhoto, among them being its poor performance with very large libraries (but I'm not sure Photos in its current state is actually that much better at that). Another is iPhoto's massive use of file space for its supporting files, which because it uses some very old & inefficient Apple API's to support older OS X versions, are not easily shared with other apps & greatly complicate implementing Apple's latest "sandbox" security model used in recent OS X versions. And of course, for better or worse Photos was designed from the ground up to support its iCloud sharing service.

Or if you prefer, the short, tl;dr version: iPhoto relies on a lot of legacy API's Apple no longer wants to support, so whatever its merits it got the ax.

Affinity Photo