You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Version 2.0.3 - filter not working Bug

We're going to need more information, Marco.

OS, which Affinity application?

Screenshots, including the Layers panel.

What kind of layer, and what kind of filter? And what do you mean by "it doesn't work"?

And ideally a sample Affinity document that shows the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello,

Affinity photo v 2.0 3

Installation : French language.

I try it on all filters

I choose one to show you :  filter "noise"

1064082312_Filterbug.jpg.82c61984d66ebe1be4a4524fdda3a228.jpg

In this example, I chose the noise filter (value 90%).

I share the photo. On the left (before the change) and on the right (after change).

I try all operations ... in this example is "addition"

You can see that there are not change.

So try yourself !

Marco

You are trying to apply the noise filter to a blank pixel layer.

You have 3 options:
1) Make a copy of all visible layers (Merge visible) and apply noise filter
2) Fill a blank pixel layer with 50% gray, change to Overlay or Soft light and apply noise filter
3) Use Live noise filter (Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Noise > Add Noise)

Thank you Lisbon,

The option 1 and the option 3 work very well.

Thank you.

When I try the option 2, changing the value, I have unexpected operations doing the operation "masking" or "demasking" the layers, like the function give some differents results with the same value  including the small image that we can see in the layer frame.   

But nether mind, the goal is to find a solution.

1 hour ago, marco40 said:

Thank you Lisbon,

The option 1 and the option 3 work very well.

Thank you.

Your welcome.

Option 2 becomes stronger if you set your layer to overlay.

Option 2:
a) Add a blank pixel layer
Layer > New Layer (Ctrl+Shift+N)
b) Fill the layer with 50% gray
Edit > Fill > Custom Colour

fill.jpg.05b0eff688142721e7c2b3a057d2751d.jpg

c) Change 50% Gray to Overlay

50pc.jpg.b1bd9892f4bbb2418d327769ccad2dc4.jpg

d) Apply noise
Filters > Noise > Add Noise

AddNoise.jpg.c289224d7350b05ba43201b8d6606b99.jpg

Hope this helps.

Hello,

Thank you very Lisbon for your explanation. I learn a lot.

It is  very useful for everybody.

I try another filter : High Pass filter on an area using a layer mask to bring out some details.

The option 3 with Live High Pass Filter is easy.

But I try the option 2 : creation of blank pixel layer and applying high pass filter with the menu filter.

I couldn't do it (nothing change with all setting cursor), I supposed I must have missed something.. .

Have you an idea ?    

Best regards !

But I try the option 2 : creation of blank pixel layer and applying high pass filter with the menu filter.

I couldn't do it (nothing change with all setting cursor), I supposed I must have missed something.. .

Did you fill the layer with 50% gray?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

40 minutes ago, marco40 said:

Yes of course, I  fill the layer with 50% gray and it doesn't work ...

Did you change that layer's blend mode to overlay?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 hours ago, marco40 said:

Thank you very Lisbon for your explanation. I learn a lot.

Thats great marco.

22 hours ago, marco40 said:

Option 2, or fill a layer with 50% gray is a special case.
Some filters work, some don't. Im afraid High Pass doesnt work with option 2.

You can add noise to a layer filled with gray but if you try to sharpen with high pass... you guessed it, nothing happens! The reason is because there is nothing to sharpen. Just gray. You need to have an image to sharpen. Gray... well... its just gray.

So, to add a high pass filter you have 2 options:
1) Make a copy of all visible layers (Merge visible). Change the blend mode to overlay or soft light and apply high pass (Filters > Sharpen > High pass)
2) Use Live High Pass filter (Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Sharpen > High Pass) and ghange the blend mode to overlay or soft light.

You can try other blend modes like Linear light.

Hello Lisbon,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I try both options you suggested.

With the first one, it works but I can't find a way to change value after applying  High pass filter to find the right value.

The only way I have found ;  you need to apply another High pass filter and try another filter value on the layer.

The second one is better because you can change the value to your liking.

With the first one, it works but I can't find a way to change value after applying  High pass filter to find the right value.

Great point marco, but your question goes beyond the use of high pass.

There is one thing called "Destructive workflow" and "Non Destructive workflow".

Notice that with Option 1 you are not allowed to adjust the high pass after you click apply. If you change your mind about the high pass value the only way is to start all over and hopefully get it right the second time. Not ideal, right? This is what is called a "Destructive workflow". There are many softwares out there  that only allow this type of editing.

But if you choose to use a Live Filter like Live High Pass (option 2) you can reajust at any time. This is a "Non Destructive workflow".

I gave you some options. Now it's up to you to choose what's best for you. Destructive or Non Destructive?

But Live filters are not the only ones that allow a "Non Destructive workflow". Adjustment layers also allow it (Layer > New Adjustment Layer).

Just a final note.
Notice that Live filters have a "Merge" option.

Live.png.aa62d3b72c3ee4eaab04a00689dd6e8d.png

If you press "Merge", the live filter merges with the layer and you are no longer doing a "Non Destructive workflow" because you lose the ability to readjust the filter.

Hope this makes sence.