You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greatful; yet, hungry... Shameless Product Feature Request

Hello Community,

I've been experimenting with graphic design for about (5) years now. I started with Adobe, but I like brands that allow you to grow with them. Not only as a consumer, but as a creator. I'm more than pleased with the Affinity Suite and it's Publisher Studio integrations. I was surprised when the only request I had from the previous version -- (larger tool tabs with a bigger font) was included; I never mentioned that. I am genuinely dedicated to mastering Affinity throughout my career as a creator. All of the new updates and features are true to Affinity and greatly appreciated.

I have recently noticed a feature from the competitive market that could be beneficial to the Affinity Suite; and with all the recent upgrades, I make this shameless request. There is in a new function called "Auto-blend." In Affinity we have the mesh tools and great blending options, but It would be good to have the ability to make our layers/filters "auto-blend" with other layers to make noise and artifacts less noticeable. The "artifacts" I'm referring to are user generated; Affinity performs fine, no complaints.

Thank you Affinity Staff, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays,

Abstract83

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Forum hint: It would be better to have a meaningful topic title, perhaps (for this one) something like "Auto-Blend Function". You may be able to edit that yourself. In a computer-based browser, long-click the title with your mouse and you might be able to update it. Or you might be able to click the ... icon on the upper rifht of the first post and select Edit.

It might also be nice to enhance your request with some specifics about which application you saw that in, and a pointer to some online documentation, for those of us not familiar with it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hmm. I know one purpose for this feature (from Adobe official link), Affinity already covers: Focus Stacking.

Among the many uses of the Auto-Blend Layers command, you can blend multiple images of a scene with different areas in focus to achieve a composite image with an extended depth of field. Similarly, you can create a composite by blending multiple images of a scene with different illuminations. In addition to combining images of a scene, you can stitch together images into a panorama. (Although, it might be better to use the Photomerge command to produce panoramas from multiple images.)

For compositing, I'm not sure there is a similar feature here but I think others have asked for AI tools to be used for similar use-cases, so I think many would certainly +1 this request. Other people have asked for similar capabilities to make "seamless" patterns automatically "talk" to each other with "one click" so maybe it could work similar. Of course, Affinity will find their own way to implement this:

• 4 weeks later...

@debraspicher Thank you! I wasn't familiar with this function in Affinity. I like the Affinity workflow with the area selection then clone to the target image.

Sidebar -- Do you know if similar functions are covered in the Affinity Workbook? If so, I'm willing to purchase a copy. Again, thanks for sharing. Much appreciated!

-- Abstract

• 3 months later...

@Abstract83 I believe you can edit the Topic title by clicking the three dots on your initial post here, there you will find "Edit" in the dropdown if  you are the Author of the topic (not completely obvious because it is not in connection to the title but rather the first item in the topic). See attached screenshot.

image.thumb.png.2d3910b61355b8ea6c4f5f9c10e90b77.png