You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Many crashes in Photo 2.0.3

AlainP

I was working on a simple file, 5 or 6 layers at most and I had a few crashes. Once I was painting on a mask and another when I was selecting colors on the Color Wheel. I had a few more but these are the ones I remember.

Before the first crash I had just re-arrange my tools and was working. Then Photo crashed and I restarted it.... the tools panel modifications were gone, everything was back to the default.

Those crashes happened with and without HA.

As I save my work very often while I work I did not loose anything.

I have attached two dmp files.

Thanks.

8f832291-c115-4d9c-ab01-a4e5470987a0.dmp cb1e83d6-06aa-4b8e-ac89-7c4020f2a748.dmp

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

For  the preferences to save, you should set up all to your liking, and  then immediately exit. As if it is crashing for you, every time it crashes it won't save the prefs, as it seems saves  them  on exit or something. Better set then, exit, start again and work normally.

Do you happen to remember exactly what you were doing, what were you clicking on or something the instant it crashed?

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Sorry, had not read well your post.

Painting on a mask with which brush, do you remember? And selecting the color in the color wheel for sure, or maybe was a fast moment when you double clicked the little color circle (foreground or background color tiny circles) that brings the square color selector?

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

I was painting black on the mask with a simple default Photo brush. 

For the Color Wheel, I was moving the cursor at the top of the triangle, had not click yet, Photo disappeared all of a sudden. 

I never had much problem with all previous versions of any Affinity apps, release or beta, just with this one. And I usually work on much more complicated files.

I also remember that while trying to enlarge the brush using "Ctrl" - "Alt" and the mouse, the brush size was changing erratically, disappearing and stuttering for a few seconds and then was back to normal. It's the first time I experienced this one. 

As mentioned above.... Ctrl-S is my friend.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Just curiosity... can you show a screenshot of the preferences/performance screen? (pref->tools and interface I guess would be good, too)

And I see you've been around, I assume you've done all the widows 11 updates, uninstall+install graphic driver, run sfc and dism. Well, these things not in this order. Just to always discard those (and maybe check the logs those generate in other folders, can be pretty informative, also the Affinity's plain text logs in  here c:\users\[whoever the user]\.affinity\Photo\2.0  (or 2.0.3, I still have yet the beta, so dunno how  that folder will be named) substituting there that with whichever is your user name on Windows.

Here is the screenshot of the Preferences window.

I wonder why it sets a max of 16 GB when I have 32.

Everything is up to date, nothing weird installed. 

I will uninstall all apps, clean up everything and reinstall to see what will happen.

Just the bottom part of the "log.txt" file in Photo 2, where it says "found" not "found" makes me wonder.

TabletContext::Create: original queue size is 50
TabletContext::Create: new queue size is 128
Attempting to create Direct3D device on default adapter
Setting screen DPI to 98.6426507481785 (scale = 1.104167)
ExternalApp: *** starting Edit In... app search for Designer ***
ExternalApp: looking for compatible version of Designer...
ExternalApp: ...found
ExternalApp: version is 2.0.3
ExternalApp: looking for compatible version of Designer...
ExternalApp: ...not found
ExternalApp: version check OK
ExternalApp: *** app search for Designer succeeded ***
ExternalApp: *** starting Edit In... app search for Publisher ***
ExternalApp: looking for compatible version of Publisher...
ExternalApp: ...found
ExternalApp: version is 2.0.3
ExternalApp: looking for compatible version of Publisher...
ExternalApp: ...not found
ExternalApp: version check OK
ExternalApp: *** app search for Publisher succeeded ***
Exit

perf.jpg

-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

I will uninstall all apps, clean up everything and reinstall to see what will happen.

Mostly install the latest 2.0.3 that they just released (as said above).

I would do the graphic card driver uninstall and then install the latest version.

I wonder why it sets a max of 16 GB when I have 32.

I guess it leaves room for the system and other apps you might have going on. It's a safe setting. Nothing stops you for assigning it 20 to 24 GB, but I would leave some room for other apps and  the system. Probably also it's so to be able to operate with two apps at a time, fluidly, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Pauls said:

Have the crashes happened with the 2.0.3 update or some other driver or windows update?

It was with the 2.0.3 release version (msix). System is up to date in every way. 

This morning I uninstalled every thing and reinstalled ... we'll see. So far so good.

I have to mention that I'm on Windows 11 Insider Preview.

Thanks.

-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, Pauls said:

that probably explains why I cant see into the dmp files

Well, the DMP files attached are from yesterday, before I uninstalled and reinstalled all Affinity Apps, that was today.

-- Macbook Air 15"