You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UI design in Affinity Designer

15 minutes ago, ceocan said:

I'm looking into UI design and see that everyone is talking about designing UI's in Figma and Adobe XD. Since I have the V2 Affinity Suite I'm wondering if Affinity Designer can replace these programs or would that be a pain in the ass?

No, they cannot replace those apps. It's a different concept, they complement each other though.

Of course you can use ADe also for UI/UX design etc.

25 minutes ago, ceocan said:

What's the main difference?

Figma is a webbased app and build for collaboration in mind here, can import Sketch files etc. Offers interactive event based prototypes ... and so on.

See also some comparisons ...

40 minutes ago, ceocan said:

Is there some sort of interactivity in the programs?

Interactivity in what sense?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Interactivity in what sense?

In the sense that when you make an interface and you click a button it will show what what happens when you click it. For example a play button changes shape or a gallery image changes. It could be done by linking different artboards with each other depending on where you click or a animation function

5 minutes ago, ceocan said:

In the sense that when you make an interface and you click a button it will show what what happens when you click it.

No, ADe doesn't offer that, it's more meant for creating the static parts of UI/UX mockups etc. and doesn't deal with the dynamics. - In contrast to that Figma offers to build interactive prototype designs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

• 1 year later...

I am currently using Designer to design whole mobile app UI and it is not bad, but Serif could have supported that way better. Current tools have very high potential.

Also, Affinity is WAAAAYY better than Adobe's awful trash Figma, that I have to still use to share design with developer (just top share measurements and stuff). It would be nice if Affinity would have collaboration implemented so I wouldn't have to use that Figma garbage

2 hours ago, Raptosauru5 said:

than Adobe's awful trash Figma

The deal has fallen through: the planned takeover of the web design platform Figma by the software company Adobe will not take place. The reason for this: the concerns of the EU Commission and the British competition authority CMA. Takeover canceled: Adobe is not buying the web design platform Figma after all.

@v_kyr Thanks for info! I was not aware the deal fell through!

Anyway, it would be AMAZING if Affinity created some way to collaborate...even if the programmer would be only able to view and not edit my design (only to take measurements etc.). It would be great!

Figma is annoying to use