You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document becomes unusable after images import from a pdf

I’m working on a document with a few text boxes and images.

I have a pdf, exported from procreate, which contains exclusively bitmaps images.

I import the pdf with the « import images » button, select some of the pages in the pdf and place them in the document

After that operation, working on the document becomes impossible : Publisher crashes as soon as I try to edit something.

15 hours ago, Clomir Pélagorne said:

import the pdf with the « import images » button

Try using Open Open/Import Document.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thank you for the suggestion. It seems to work better (no crash), but in my case leads to other inextricable problems for a newbie like me (it’s the first Time I use Publisher).

I have tried to follow another strategy : export the drawings from procreate as individual pngs, then batch import them with the insert tool and « insert From files ».

But a new problem (bug ?) arises: the files are not inserted in the right order, while Procreate generates file names ending with the page number. It looks like Publisher is randomly shuffling the files. Then manually putting the images back in the right order is more of a pain than importing the images one by one. ☹️

• 2 weeks later...

I’m encountering the same kind of issue. I’m trying to use linked afdesigner files inside a Publisher document and find that Publisher crashes on re-opening the document. 

Replication steps. 
1. Create afdesigner file
2. Save to Files
3. Create a Publisher file with Linked files as the preference for placing content.
4. Place the Designer file in that document.
5. Close Document
6. Re-open Publisher document.

Result - crash

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Clomir Pélagorne,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:00 PM, Clomir Pélagorne said:

I have a pdf, exported from procreate, which contains exclusively bitmaps images.

I import the pdf with the « import images » button, select some of the pages in the pdf and place them in the document

After that operation, working on the document becomes impossible : Publisher crashes as soon as I try to edit something.

Are you able to provide a copy of this PDF here for me please?

On 12/20/2022 at 12:16 PM, Clomir Pélagorne said:

But a new problem (bug ?) arises: the files are not inserted in the right order, while Procreate generates file names ending with the page number. It looks like Publisher is randomly shuffling the files.

I can confirm that unfortunately Affinity does not user naming conventions when loading files, we simply load files on a 'first come, first serve' basis - meaning the smaller files will likely open first, followed by larger/heavier files, my apologies. This is logged with our developers as a request improvement and is something we hope to change in the future.

Hi @VinylDinosaur,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble also! 

I have tested your workflow here in Publisher/Designer 2.0.3 and I'm not seeing the same issue - if you're still able to replicate this crash, can you please provide a screen recording showing this for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hallo

I found it’s to with designer files with multiple art boards in my case. To clarify one step. I can’t “export” the file, but I can do a “save as” from the Home Screen. Hopefully the video makes it clear.

it resembles @Clomir Pélagorne’s issue with multiple pages of one PDF being put into one publisher file.

Edited by VinylDinosaur
Need to edit video for privacy

• Staff

Many thanks for providing these for me! I can confirm I've been able to replicate this crash and therefore I'm logging this with our development team as a bug now.

However I'm unable to replicate an issue with Exporting a document (both with and without Artboards/bleed) to PDF currently - from the looks of your screen recording you enter the Export screen but I do not see you select the 'OK' option at the bottom, to finalise the export of the document in Files.

What happens if you select the OK option in the export dialog please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Sorry if I didn’t clarify. The export to PDF from affinity designer, and then placing into a publisher document works fine.

On my video, I did mention that either Apple files or the affinity apps forget the current working folder. This happens both with the share option and when using OK. But that is not related to this thread.