You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't work between 2 open documents - glitches and crashes (Fixed in 2.0.3 update)

Ranpo

I cant seem to operate the programme anymore if I want to work between 2 documents

What I want to do is copy a grouped element (box and text) from the first document and then paste it into the 2nd document open, i've been able to do this fine until the KB update, but I thought this would be resolved when updating to Vers 2.

What happens is once I copy the element and I click on the tab to the 2nd document, it still displays the pages/layers etc of the first document so its glitched at this bit, and then if I ctrl + v to paste it in knowing im in the 2nd document tab it crashes.

At the moment the only workaround is to open both on ipad and copy/paste there and reopen again for windows but I dont want to keep doing that.

EDIT: Problem has been fixed in version 2.0.3

Edited by Ranpo
Problem has been fixed with program update

So.. you mean having a layers group formed by a box (vector rectangle) and a text box. Then copy this group with ctrl c, and the click on  the other document tab, click somewhere in this second document canvas (to get the focus), and then hit ctrl v for pasting. And then it crashes? It did not crash for me, both using the ctrl c, selecting the group in  the layer list, but neither crashed directly selecting these elements on the canvas and hitting ctrl c (then ctrl v in the other doc). I also tested with the settings on and off in preferences/general "copying all as SVG" and "maintaining the unicode returns when copying plain text"  (or sth like that, as I don't have it in English). It worked in every combination, although I did not restart apub (as it says these don't need restart, but who knows). 

That if I understood well the issue, as I am well versed in design and image editing, but a total newbie in Publisher and this kind of editing, anyways.

Could you paste here screenshots (without doxing any private data) from your Affinity Publisher v2 preferences , the sections "performance", "general" and "tools" ? Might help to solve the situation, by users, or if later on, a dev (many on holidays and also saturated working in v2) sees it.

The crash should never  happen, so it's more related to that config, the graphic card driver, and your windows, etc. Looking at those screens could give a ton of info.

Also, your system specs: which graphic card (amd or nvidia exact model), how much ram, which cpu. If you can, which version of Windows are you using . Don't copy paste that screen (could dox the license) , but if you click on your Windows Start Menu, then Settings (the gear icon), then System, then ABOUT at the very bottom of the left pane, after clicking it, appears on the right pane a lot of data. At the bottom of it, it says 'Windows specifications'. It is useful to know ONLY where it says Windows Edition: Windows 10, and then Version: 22H2.  Or whatever is your version. But no other data. And of course, if you can and it's ok, a sample file with which happens this to you, if uploaded here somehow, could help others test it and see if the crash happens to us, too. Sometimes a feature works always except with some files and situations/elements.

A lot of people are avoiding crashes like this by deactivating "OPEN CL" (but leaving on your graphic card ,selected) in  the "Performance" section of preferences.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Hi @SrPx thanks for your reply and your thoughts on this, as I suspected it must be something on my end.

I've attached a storyboard of screenshots of the problem (apologies you may need to zoom in to see the different docked windows), I made 2 brand new files in Publisher 2 as I thought it might have been due to the files being made in Vers 1 but its also affecting these. I also discovered it's not just ctrl + v but any action appears to crash the program once I have this glitch, I just did ctrl + w to close the tab and it crashed completely.

Here is a list of fixes i've also tried but have had no effect (All I restarted the programme to make sure it took the change)

• Selecting 'copying all as SVG setting' (deselected was default)
  • Increasing RAM (Was set at 4GB but now increased to 8GB)
  • Changing Renderer (Was set to AMD as default)
  • Deselecting OpenCL (selected was default)

I've also attached my preferences. Affinity Vers 1 was running perfectly on my system until the KB update. I have not installed the KB updates as I had held out for a fix and then Vers 2 was noted to have had these fixes.

Specs
Processor:    AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx     2.10 GHz
Graphics:    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Installed RAM:    8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)

Edition:    Windows 10 Home
Version:    22H2

Publisher Crashing Guide.png

Affinity Publisher 2 Settings.png

- Have you tried doing this with floating windows, instead of embedded as tabs ? Random, but who knows... You can set also in general preference to prefer floating windows, if does prove to be a culprit (doubt it, but imo, test these things until it all goes smooth).

- Also random, but trying deactivating "documents open in current active group"

- yet super random (meaning, no reason why that should interfere, but there are soo many factors...) I would also try disabling "Synchronise tools between documents" (which is an amazing feature that I would really miss...), as is very distantly related, but who knows, doesn't hurt either, and immediately get it back on after the test (so to not forget).

- You have very little RAM, worse case as it's a laptop (less performance)... I don't know if the new v2 version needs more resources. And, in Windows at least, 8gb is veeery at the limit, as Windows and resident memory apps that people don't disable, eat a ton of memory. I would not set the entire 8gb (as it shows in your screens) for Affinity, as that can lead to instability. Neither 4. Maybe like 5 or 6, see how it goes. In most software apps, you don't want to set the full memory of your system to it, or the operating system is left with no memory for its basic functions (unless Affinity does sth different!), and will become non responsive, crashing every app.
- Don't run other apps at the same time, as then you have close to nothing for Publisher. Any Windows system very tight on memory is a feast of crashes, a disaster waiting to happen, lags and freezes. I wouldn't even have Photo and Publisher open at same time. Until you get more memory, really would not launch more than a web browser (those are huge ram eaters, though, and usually with terrible managing of memory!) or a text editor, at least until you get more RAM.

- Even if the issue has nothing to do with this (your workflow worked in 1.x) , adding more RAM would be a tremendous benefit for absolutely everything. Today for graphic work I can only recommend a minimum of 16GB of RAM, at least in Windows (macs are different), and always that you live in a country where hardware is not outrageously expensive. Replacing those 8gb for a dual 2x8 kit with be a quality of life change, trust me. Replacing as just adding another 8gb would not surely work in dual mode, your system, losing a ton of performance due to this fact, specially with an AMD processor like yours. Or even would just not be compatible. The CPU is totally fine, btw, no need for more. Most laptop disks from that cpu moment of launch are SSDs, so, good for performance (I just fear they won't have configured cache, virtual disk memory  for your Windows).

- Looking at the naming of the CPU, I am guessing your computer is a laptop. I know installing RAM or any component in a laptop is very scary (while in a PC installing a kit of RAM is super easy and safe), mostly opening yourself a laptop, as you need to do it with card like an old visa card, going through all the plastic union, and it seems as if you were breaking stuff (indeed, you can easily break stuff). But if you are used to do it without problems, or have someone that can do it SAFELY (knowing what they're doing) in the family or friends, I'd recommend buying a 16GB RAM kit (dirty cheap, currently, in PC/Windows) but ensuring by your laptop's documentation that the brand and specs of the memory kit is compatible with your laptop, and install it. You can go the safe route that is going to a computer shop, buy them the memory and the service of installing it. Will be more expensive, of course, but 100% safe. But not too expensive, memory is not expensive (and installation should not be more than 70/100 bucks, go to other place, otherwise, tho depends on  your country), and that cpu does well with DDR4 (does not support ddr5, anyway), which is at great price compared to the expensive (specially in laptops) ddr5, and you wouldn't notice the difference, surely. I installed so a 32gb kit (ddr5, ouch) on my laptop (and added a second ssd).

- Undo limit is huge in your preferences (default, I know). Please set it like 30 or 70 undos (you surely rarely would need more than 30). I don't know how it goes on Affinity, but in other apps this consumes memory and/or resources, but Affinity is so modern that might have no impact. Normally wouldn't be needed at all, but your system is short in memory, and every tiny bit counts (in these cases, a tiny bit might mean everything). Somebody around here has mentioned it consumes memory, even if not much.

- In the past, there was some issue with having the history panel open while painting, someone informed to have more brush painting lag in their end at least, if that was kept open. Well, close it, just  in case. I'd also try and have way less panels open than you have, even none, and make the test again. If then it works, would confirm one of my suspicions, that your system is very in the limit, dire situation.

- In  that vein, I would check thoroughly if I can remove any tsr program in the tray, that you don't really need, as all that consume RAM and resources (cpu, memory, network, overall performance, etc. Don't remove anything necessary).

- I am saying all this about performance (memory, etc), because your crash is a typical from a system who is in the last bits of  memory, can't move or refresh things, and it does not look to be a graphic glitch (the 1650 is PLENTY for Affinity apps. Indeed, Affinity apps are currently well optimized in performance matters). Adobe apps would be a huge problem in this system, to even put the loading logo.

I would try first all the possibilities mentioned in software/config mentioned, but if it doesn't improve, and if the work or hobby you do is even slightly important, and buying and installing the RAM does not mean to leave you in a bad position financially, I'd highly recommend installing a 16GB DDR4 IN DUAL kit, a 2x8 RAM kit. It'd be soooo much fluid in everything. Mine has 32 and it is really, really worth it. Your CPU and card are absolutely fine for Publisher, Affinity and Photo. 

32 would be super sweet to be able to work with Designer and publisher (surely even photo, too) simultaneously, for a very productive workflow (although, not usually "needed". But two at a time is very practical. Or at least, MS Word and Publisher, etc). Besides having then the capability of doing much heavier projects running Publisher alone.

Installing a 16gb 2x8 DDR4 dual kit is a rather low cost upgrade, and will keep your laptop relevant yet for quite some time, with Affinity applications and many others. And it will feel like a totally new computer for a while, after installing this.

My bet is it is a performance issue (maybe due to v2 doing it differently or even if requiring just a hair more resources, as your machine is at the very limit), as it is being left with no resources enough to redraw, and I have learned that while that would seem TOTALLY like a graphics card bug, the way you described it is  IMO is typically more of a lack of global system memory problem (RAM and virtual disk memory). And the difference between working in v1 and not in v2 is just a hair. It wouldn't help that, for allowing a longer life of the SSD disk (their lifespan is shortened by the number of file writes, including system cache, and laptops SSDs are cheap, not high TBW number) they often (the cheap laptops) come with Windows configured with NO cache memory at all from the disk (or very few GBs), so, once the RAM is consumed, nothing else to use, system lags or crashes. They do also due to knowing the disks they put are super small (256gb, 512 as much) in the cheap models, to keep their production costs low, and seeing that your  CPU is not high end, definitely, so, surely they might have set no system cache/virtual memory, or... way too little. You can enlarge that quantity in system advanced properties (will shorten the disk's life, but you can replace it once it bricks, yourself or in a shop. Chances are you will be needing a new laptop by then, though (5 years or so)), ping me here if  you need info on how to reach there and do it (it's easy). And set like, dunno, 16gb of virtual memory, to give some breathing room to Affinity. But my main advice, by all means, install more RAM if  you are doing anything that uses your time, with it (as RAM is much faster by several reasons, than disk memory).

I might be dense, today, but right now I can't think of anything more...  :)

Let us  know here how it goes, if you want...

PD: Tablet input method "low precision" won't help here, and is going to be much worse for selections and stuff, not only for the brush and retouch functions. I'd rather recommend high precision or Windows Ink. But ok to leave it in low for now, for these tests. Once you solve this, and all works great, THEN I'd try setting it as Windows Ink (my favorite), or at least High Precision, and see (only change one thing at a time, so to be sure) if it goes slow due to that. Is too much good control you lose in "low precision" , while I think does not help your problem.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Hi @Ranpo,

i can not reproduce this with two simple test documents. Does the error occur if you create two completely new documents and create two completely new graphics? Maybe you can provide your problematic Publisher files for the support team.

image.png.60d762c285e851feaed1277152e5b6e9.png

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

Hi @SrPx and @4dimage thanks for replying

Have tried the following fixes;

• Floating windows makes the crashes quicker.
  • deselecting 'documents open in current active group' has no effect
  • deselecting 'Synchronise tools between documents' has no effect
  • reduced undo limit has no effect
  • Updating the AMD and NVIDIA drivers has no effect
  • Uninstalling V1 affinity programmes has no effect

The glitch happens to every file; from old files in V1 to brand new files I made just for this error. Have attached both files but dont think they will provide much in the way of answers. (Amended the files to arial font, again has no effect and still get crashes for this)

I double checked the specs for Affinity and it does say 8gb recommended so I assumed my RAM would have been alright, i'd have understood if it was bulky multi-layered files but to have this happen to the tiny files below seems odd. I dont have visual lag either, everything runs smooth. After Effects runs pretty well aswell.

I'm running on an ASUS gaming laptop, albeit a few years old so im not sure if I could upgrade the RAM, but wasnt planning to with this as was wanting to opt for a desktop set up in the short future.

At the moment my fix for the problem is to open the files on my ipad, do the copy/paste there and then get on with working on my files on my laptop as normal.

Again, this all started on V1 with the KB update. If any mod could confirm if vers 2 has fixed the KB error?

Test 1.afpub Test 2.afpub

Edited by Ranpo
Forgot to add that I changed the fonts to arial for ease

@Ranpo I tried the procedure with you two uploaded documents and had no errors (initially you used two special fonts for the texts - now both are Standard "Arial". I got no font-warnings when opening. Did you change your setup ?!). Also tried switching between Designer persona(s) with no errors.

I run the latest versions: Publisher 2.0.3., Designer 2.0.0, Photo 2.0.0.

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

@4dimage yes I did! Sorry I forgot to add that I changed the fonts so that there was no import error on your side (Literally thought about it too). To note, the change of fonts has no effect on my end as I still get the same glitch/crash.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled publisher 2 aswell incase it might have been an install error but no luck.

EDIT: To save myself double posting, I can copy/paste without a crash if I do the reverse while the document displayed is incorrect;

1. I copy the grouped object on file 1
  2. I go to file 2, the screen is still displaying file 1 but I can still interact with the elements on file 2 via layers panel, so I copy the grouped object in file 2
  3. Return to file 1 and paste the object from file 2, no crash
Edited by Ranpo
Another thing I noticed with the glitch

@Ranpo Unfortunately i have no idea what else may help 🙁 Do you find actual crash reports for Publisher that may help the support team ?

@4dimage ive been looking for how to find crash reports for V2, thanks for linking and also for looking into the glitch/crashes.

I see that I have generated about 30 reports just on this issue, 13 alone today from the testing, so i'll attach the latest 3. Dont know if there is a place I've to submit these.

b0310c8f-5b12-45c9-9257-d300d46ae440.dmp d2e0a5cf-033b-4422-ad06-aadc6396dffa.dmp d81198b8-639b-4423-921b-33a133189df8.dmp

I would say that page were it says "recommended" in the RAM (although I agree, a minimum, recommended, ideal, three lists would be perfect, as some people can understand that as ideal, while in Windows I'd totally say  this is a minimum) is more like a minimum... Also, every configuration is different, and some laptops (specially old Windows installs versus clean installs)  have a lot of libraries, services and software occupying a lot of those 8gb of RAM, so is not really 8. And... right now I am not sure if that AMD processor is an APU (edit: it is), that is, how people call the AMD CPUs with integrated cards, but if it is the case, typically the system, without your knowledge, reserves 2GB (at least) of the system RAM for the integrated graphics! :s Leaving you and Affinity with like 6GB, but then, your Windows 10 takes I think that between 1 and 2 GBs. If you have (unknowingly, which is the usual thing for most people) some (invisible for you) service/proccess devoring ram, then we're in a situation. If , on top of that, like with many cheap laptops, the vendor gave you the laptop setting zero virtual memory, to save disk space, then it's crazy that it would even open the app (any graphic app, affinity or not...).  You could upgrade yet, as that cpu can't have been made before ddr4 memory, totally possible. I understand your point with the new PC... but 16gb gives life to your laptop for a few more years (while using  the desktop, you still will have a functional laptop, which I have discovered is super useful).

But yes, it could be that it's not only about memory (the hang behaves a lot like when a system is out of memory, though, that's why I insist. Even if with v1 worked before the update, some new library or procedure could be requiring a tiny bit more, enough to produce the crash) and maybe there's some hardware/driver/system conflict. 

In the case it were memory, or, some conflict... When it happens to you, have you left it "a while" alone to wait it reacting, getting responsive?  Meaning, no trying to paste immediately or do anything else (heck, not even moving more the mouse). Let it wait a long time, see if tab 2 ends up refreshing as it should, both layers and actual canvas. If it's low memory, and the app is not already crashed (it is not, as lets you do some things!), it might come back after some time. Once it shows all as it should (can take even 5 minutes!) , try to paste it then, only then. And see if it works. If this works, it's totally memory. Using some bits of disk, out of ram and resources. But it could be a conflict/bad loop, too. Just that chances of being a memory issue now would be quite higher. I don't want it to be memory... I want to solve it, eliminate factors  :). 

As I read it, it's the moment you click the second tab AFTER you have copied the group. Does it let you switch between tabs, clicking on the tabs, first 1, then 2, then 1... without problems, before actually copying the group (so, before putting the group in memory, in RAM, which seems to be the problem, whether if it is for low memory, or something in conflict). Does it crash or become laggy, slow just by clicking on the tabs like I say here, before copying anything?

I hope I didn't mess much that point.

Just to add that I am digging... It's a low power cpu , 35w, not very powerful, but I think it's ok for Publisher. Yes, it has a Vega card. So I guess by default (I think in bios, not even Windows, can't remember now) is reserving 2GB of RAM just for the card, so the system is surely solely 6GB (plus all the tsr programs and services taking memory and the 1-2 gb just by Windows system. You could be working in a "no memory" situation, let alone if the laptop vendor did not configure disk virtual memory to help the RAM (this can be easily solved now, though). 

And yes, this cpu supports ddr4 as main memory, indeed. It of course needs to be sodimms, memory chips for laptops, not desktop memory, but as usual.

If you can't upgrade now, in your shoes I would try to optimize the system (that would be good in any case) by optimizing as much as I can memory, unloading unneeded tsr programs, maybe entering the bios to try to reduce the RAM used by the graphics in the CPU (as you use dedicated graphic card, anyway, that memory is being wasted, probably...unless it has  been configure not to, already... which could be, the moment they installed the 1650), and, as you are going for a desktop soon, anyway, check how is your virtual memory for the disk configured. If it is zero as in so me laptops, immediately put there at least 10gb or so. It can  mean not having  the crash, indeed, if that is configured so. For this, you can go to Start Menu/ settings (the gear icon) / About (at the bottom left) / then at the  very right, a link that says "advanced system configuration" (sorry, I don't have it in English). Click there, and a   new small window pops up. There are 3 buttons, click the top one "configuration" in the "performance" section. Another small window appears. On the top 3 tabs, click on "Advanced options". Now on "change" button, in the area where it says "Virtual memory". It might be saying "no page file" , that it is not assigning any disk memory as virtual memory. It would be good for us to know if it was so. Here, you would establish some memory. I don't know how big is your drive, and how much memory free remains in your disk. So, don't use too much if you can't... But ideal if you could st like 12 or 16gb here.

The ways to do this in any Windows, is, they give you two options, as you see in this window. "Let the system decide" or sth like that, which is best for when you have too little memory and often run out of space (bad usage of a ssd, but I know...), or, if you are sure you will always leave free like 20gb, then establish a fixed quantity by using the other option. I often use the fixed number as in the past it was said that it performs better than letting the system decide constantly. But that might have changed, who knows... Important! need to hit the button "establish" or however it says it in English, or it won't take it. And also needs a system restart.  Anyway, in your system, you need memory, so, if it's zero now, totally need to set a bit there, as anyway you are moving to a desktop, SSD disk lifespan is not a worry  now for you. This will surely help your laptop in a number of workflows, not only with Affinity.

The other thing is making the BIOS take less memory (I believe one could set as los a 0.5 gb, but not really sure, now...) for the integrated graphics, as it is not needed and is taking precious RAM.

Other  than that, maybe make the tests I suggested if you feel up to it. It might give significant clues. As if it works after a long wait (after copying), but finally the other tab gets responsive,  it's surely then a memory  problem. If you can't simply click on tabs consecutively, then might be a bigger issue, though.

Ehm...I have an utility to read dumps, downloaded such tool out of curiosity; I don't know cr4p about how to read dumps :D, it's programmers' dark magic  ... but it throws something like it "couldn't find memory", in the exception analysis (does it means that it's an out of memory problem? maybe...).... Which is sth I have never found in my own dumps (that sounded bad :D :D). 

Thank you @SrPx for the replies

I have tried the option of waiting for the program, I copied the file and changed tabs, and let it sit for about a half hour, the screen display and pages didnt update and when I pasted it still caused the crash (attached report for mod ref, file beginning 5d2aa7b1)

When I copy the object and change to the next tab for when the glitch happens as long as I dont paste I can still click between the two tabs with no lag (all the other menus change except for page)

I have just checked my virtual memory aswell (never knew of this feature, thank you so much!) which appears to be set to 8704MB to all drives, so would I be working with 14GB?

However just as going through tests I have just ran into something very interesting!

If I copy the object and change tab to activiate glitch, if I change between the tabs back and forth several times there is an instance where the page does load and I can paste the object with no crash! The glitch still remains if I click to go back to the original tab but if I click back and forth several times again the correct view loads. After this the glitch appears to have been resolved.

I have just done this several times now to see if there are any further crashes. In this test;

• First time I have managed to copy and paste once normally
  • Second time the glitch happened again, but I switched between the tabs (Normally 5-6 full rotation) and the screen fixes itself and im able to paste it in

From this I wonder if there is an issue with the actual window/artboard/canvas view (Dont know what word to call it) Like because the view is conflicting with what its supposed to be, by my pasting it causes it to crash. My constant back and forth might be causing it to force refresh in the program. I did manage to save copies of the 2 files and then the program crashed when I wanted to close it down completely (attached report for mod ref, file begnning 2aaeca5c)

5d2aa7b1-13df-420c-9b91-2389d0169440.dmp 2aaeca5c-891d-4070-9312-9bcef90e7596.dmp

That's rather interesting... it's like if it had a great pain rebuilding the context of switching to another document... So....!  is not solely the paste action... but that it is yet not..."ready", when you do it. Somehow clicking  back and forth, ends up building the thing. But then, that's like graphical glitch? Sometimes is hard to know, when is that or just low on RAM, or CPU, or whatever resources.

Well, about virtual memory, depends on your free disk space and overall size of your disk, and how often you fill it totally (super not recommended with SSDs).  If  you have like right now 70 gb free (or even 50), then yep, I'd set 14gb as virtual memory, just in case it helps here and in other situations... Or, set "let the system decide". (remember it does not take effect until a system restart, whatever the method). If it is yet like in the old times, setting a fixed quantity should perform better (it's sth that was so, so many years ago. I don't know now, I just keep doing it. And because I over-worry about SSDs lifespan, I usually set it only for my HDD (which is a TAD slower. In my laptop though, I installed a second SSD, and I set the virtual memory for that one, i nstead of the boot/system SSD.   

SSD disks are a lot faster than HDDs, would help a lot here. Your laptop is old, but I am almost certain is a SSD, so it should be fast virtual memory. So, don't worry, you are going to swap to desktop soon, and increase it if you have enough free disk space. Increasing it too much isn't good, either. 12-14GB is what I'd set. You could also check in BIOS if you can reduce the memory that is blocked for the integrated graphics, as it is your nice 1650 dedicated graphic which is doing the graphic work, no need to lose RAM on that, and the situation is tight. 

You can check (I think) to see if your Vega  (that's the  name of the graphics integrated chip in your CPU) is reserving memory, stealing it for Windows, with Windows task Manager ( ctrl + shift + esc  or if can't for some reason, right click on Start Menu, then "Run", then type taskmngr and hit intro). By looking at the "performance" tab, and  then click on the "memory" section in the left side. And look at "reserved", what number it says, like it is drawn in the following screenshot (not mine, is from some tut on internet) :

image.png.72730bb47e07935e2c42f9ebd51719fc.png

You can also check in Start Menu/Windows Settings/System/About, what it says in available RAM, as it might say 8GB RAM, (6GB usable).

At least we'll know if you're losing memory there (as then it's 6gb, not 8gb of RAM). 

Now, to change that inconvenience (very convenient when there's no dedicated graphic card, though, not criticizing AMD)... only if you are used to edit the BIOS. As it's risky and can end up having to go to a shop, if you don' know how to recover of some misconfiguration in the bios. I'm not a super expert, but I even flash the bios, which is where there's more risk. Even if not having experience with bios, you rarely would do sth a tech person wouldn't be able to recover. But in case you more or less know how, or someone you know, it's about going to the 'integrated graphics' option, surely in "chipset" or "cpu options", having the "integrated graphics" option, or "GFX configuration", or... (names can change in different bios!) set it as 'forced' instead of Auto, and in "UMA mode", setting 'UMA specified' , and finally, setting in "UMA frame buffer size" a memory quantity . I have seen bios allowing 0.5 gb, don't know where...but could happen that might only be able to reduce it to 1gb instead of 2gb. But every gain is good, as 1 more gb when there's so little, is a big change. RAM is much faster than the virtual memory of the disk, has a faster access, too.

Again, if are not experienced/familiar with BIOS, neither having a friend/family member that is, don't even consider it, imo. 

But at least, you can check in those two Windows places to know if you are really having 8GB or 6GB. My guess is 6, due to that cpu, and as I said, windows takes 1 or 2 more, and other apps and services take even more on top of that. Also, close Chrome when using Publisher in that laptop, if possible; its tabs devour RAM. I believe it has some leak or something, too (Chrome, not Affinity).

It can totally be a conflict between affinity's code and something in  your system, that happens in your case but not in my computer or 4dimage's. But frankly... I am more inclined to think it's the low memory problem. Or... maybe the app code  is not super optimized yet, and it just is not noticeable with enough resources, or arise the issue only in very low memory conditions (to be fair, in such conditions, everything crashes one way or another), who knows.

If not loving the idea of buying and  installing RAM now, I'd try to optimize the system all you can (it's good practice and good habit, anyway). Remove as many apps from start-up as possible (if really being sure you don't need them, ie, don't remove anything driver/device related), you can even check how much RAM each is taken (I won't expand here, this post is already a long read). Clean the thing as much as you can, and maybe set a 12 or 14GB virtual memory. Maybe with bits here and there you get that this change of context problem stops happening. Or might be a conflict  there and that won't help, but having a more optimized system is always going to be good for you.  :)

After writing The Quixote here, sth I could have mentioned as first thing, but which I guessed you are not interested in (I would also go for the most modern version) is, if it worked before the latest update in v1, one option is (if all  the above fails, and/or no ram installation, etc) install the previous v1 and work with that, and then install v2 in the new desktop once you (soon , it seems) have it (I know... I would want v2 to work in the laptop, too). I believe  you need to be logged in your Affinity account, or you will need your product key when installing Publisher (I don't remember well the details now), but I think you can download 1.10.5 in the following page, below "Previous Versions" :

https://store.serif.com/en-us/update/windows/publisher/1/

@SrPx Alrighty! I've increased the virtual memory to 14GB, again its no effect to publisher but could be useful for future. The laptop only has a single SSD drive which it comes from.

My hardware reserved only comes out as 191MB, my about in settings has RAM set as; 8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)

If it is hardware issue it'll just need to be something I tide myself with until I can upgrade, I realise aswell Mods might be away for Christmas aswell so wont be able to hear thoughts on the crash reports till next year.

You have provided valuable insight for what I would like in my next set up for sure, this wee laptop's been great for making graphics for these years i've needed to do but have dreamed of a beefy set up.

V1 used to work for me fine until one of the last V1 updates caused some issues which were related to the KB update, so even reverting might not be best option, but this quick changeover might be the temp fix or moving quick changes to another system will suffice for now.

Oki, then nice, it's not  using memory for the graphics (stupid me, you had already put at the beginning (7.81 not usable).

So, temporary solution! Once with the desktop, I can't recommend enough 32 GBs... :) (I prefer it over super fast memory but 16gb... it works better for graphic work. So, just 32gb dual, 2x16 kit, and 3200Mhz, cl16, good to go). Also 8 cores in the CPU, to be future proof. But to save money (and surely  electricity), a 6 cores will do the deal for anything except very heavy video editing, if the app can't do it by GPU. And GPU, a nvidia(for your own good) 3050 or 3060 are ideal, I don't really think much more is needed.

Spoiler

An AMD 7600 is a good choice, but the motherboards in AMD for the AM5 chipset are crazily expensive. So, going intel 13th gen is a good solution, no need to get more than a 13600 (it isn't a 6 core, it has more, as uses those added efficiency cores, that are kind of less capable, but still) for the purpose, has great performance, besides, higher than that, in intel is quite more heat and energy consumption (requiring more expensive cooling and power supply. You save more watts with AMD, almost always). Maybe relevant if you live now in Europe, with these electricity bills.  I'm more inclined for the AMD new platform (but nvidia for the graphic card!), if finding a well priced mother board. But also, AMD forces you as well to use DDR5, which is more modern memory and all, but a lot more expensive, and there's not a terrible need, for a graphic application, currently, to use ddr5 versus ddr4. Intel platform allows cheaper mother boards and using this older memory, much much cheaper, but in  the other side, the chipset will only support 13th generation (AMD AM5 has better upgrade path). For someone not planning to ever upgrade the CPU, this is a non-issue, anyway. And intel CPUs can be undervolted, or configured to use less wattage (to save electricity and produce less heat). If don't want to mess with all that, I would recommend a 13600 or 13700 as much. If electricity is not a worry...then whatever will do well :).

Sorry, this part was totally unnecessary... I like hardware :D  (Edit by myself: I spoiler-hid the random hardware parts big paragraph, a bit off topic  :) )

Please excuse the dumb question, as you surely have tried this the first thing (or maybe not). If you float one of the windows (the one having the group you want to copy)  by just dragging it around from its title bar, and then, in the layers panel (not the canvas),  grabbing the  group folder (not one of  the layers) you drag and drop it over the other document, does it crash or become unresponsive? Probably will as it has a problem with switching context, but who knows, maybe not.

Just in case you have not tried this.

Ranpo

'V1 used to work for me fine until one of the last V1 updates caused some issues which were related to the KB update, so even reverting might not be best option, but this quick changeover might be the temp fix or moving quick changes to another system will suffice for now.'

Same issue here! Reverting back didn't solve the problem for V1. Hoped V2 would solve the problem but still have same issue.
Can't open a second tab just freezes up.

@SrPxHave just had a try at this, affinity really does not like the floating windows, I hadnt even copied the file and caused a crash. Just clicked the floating document, and then the tabbed document, then back to the floating document and it crashes. Definitely think its the actual window/artboard/canvas view that's having issues.

Attached crash report for mods.

@PD1234 are you able to share your crash reports aswell along with your computer specs? Will be good to start collating data for when the mods return from holidays.

301a9ee3-b113-48c7-8713-fc130f364859.dmp

No crash report - empty?

My system - Dell
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 11 fully updated

Using NVIDIA Quadro P620 . Graphics drivers all up to date

I've ran SFC /scannow and fixed a a couple of corrupt files on the system 

I've ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

But still got the same crashing when opening files

1 hour ago, Ranpo said:

@SrPxHave just had a try at this, affinity really does not like the floating windows, I hadnt even copied the file and caused a crash. Just clicked the floating document, and then the tabbed document, then back to the floating document and it crashes. Definitely think its the actual window/artboard/canvas view that's having issues.

Attached crash report for mods.

@PD1234 are you able to share your crash reports aswell along with your computer specs? Will be good to start collating data for when the mods return from holidays.

301a9ee3-b113-48c7-8713-fc130f364859.dmp 3.55 MB · 0 downloads

Yep, other users have no issues (like me) at least with the beta. I am afraid it s going to vary from system to system.

1 hour ago, PD1234 said:

I've ran SFC /scannow and fixed a a couple of corrupt files on the system 

Do you remember which files it said ?

I'm afraid not. I don't think it even said, just that it fixed x amount of corrupt files. I was just happy and shocked, happy it said it fixed some hoping Affinity would now work.

shocked because it's a newish system and wasn't expecting any corrupt files.