You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't work between 2 open documents - glitches and crashes (Fixed in 2.0.3 update)

Ranpo

Before anything, Serif has just released a new official version, 2 hours ago: 

Wouldn't be the first time I have get a computer with the system poorly installed from the shop. Indeed, I prefer to buy them clean, Install the OS myself...

Also, some apps and games we install, happen to break the system here and there, and we don't notice it.

My take is typically clean installs do well, as in, don't have anything yet gone bad. With new systems like yours is a bit less frequent, for what I am seeing. 

In mine everything works now (I had my issues), in the two configurations you can see in my signature. But I had to repair -and I had thought that it was fine...- the .net runtime (although finally that was not the problem I had, and I found a workaround, I found out that it seems windows scaling at 110% is a no go with v2. Also, the daub bristles brushes, I discovered if shown "as a list", a different type of thumbnails in the brush library, then it wouldn't crash). But those cases happened to everyone (in those circumstances), not system specific. nVidia cards seem to do better in terms of the opencl performance and overall (and features for apps), but the problems with open cl seem to happen with both brands. For these apps and many other software brands (as much as I like AMD as a company and their CPUs) I recommend a nvidia card, from a cheap 1650 to a 1660, 3050 o 3060, or anything in between are very good candidates, and some of those are quite cheap, now. If you do 3D I recommend at least a 3050. Put enough RAM, at least 16GB (in my opinion) Edit: wait, I see that you have 32. Never mind. I am much happier with 32 for big files, though. The boot disk with Windows: an SSD (m.2 if possible), the work files disk, another ssd, or an HDD. In CPU matters there's no great issues, that I  have been able to see, tho. But if processing RAWs for photography, the more the merrier. My 3900X does well for overall 3D/2D graphic use, I guess anything Ryzen 3000, 5000 or current 7000s. Any second hand intel from 11th gen, or purchased new 12th and current 13th will do great. It's more about having your driver cleanly installed (uninstall it if finding issues, I mean, uninstall it cleanly, and install the latest version. Use a tool that ppl use to totally remove the thing ), the .net runtime ideally to the latest 4.8 and without errors (use MS's repair tool, in case there are issues, I don't have the link handy right now). And very important, Windows up to date, till latest updates. IMO more than buying new hardware, is a lot cheaper just have a clean install, ensuring all , OS, drivers, libraries and software is error free.

You said it did catch some corrupt files... well, some of the updates or other libraries (.net, etc) could be affected by that, despite sfc or DISM having fixed some stuff. And I know by experience it can be super tough to know which is the culprit. Can be a bad registry entry of some software, bad permissions config, who knows.

I do believe though, 8gb of RAM or a laptop with celeron or something super low performance, low laptops, mainly those that are up to checking the mail and browsing, for some reason people want to do graphic works with  those (in my times, with Adobe we all knew you had to face the beast with serious hardware), and I'm positive several of the current issues are due to not having enough memory or resources, although it's a minority.  Even while Affinity is much lighter than Adobe's or Autodesk's apps. Indeed, we've seen people here with stations with a 5800, a 3080 and 64 GB of RAM having crashes. It's not that.

The quadro p620 is indeed under powered: It's nice as is a pro line card, 4 display ports, super low power consumption (25W!) ...but in the low end, only 2GB of VRAM... Compared to even a 1650 (4Gb...cheap now), it has 512 cuda cores instead of the 896 of the 1650, clearly slower clock too,  lower texture fill rate, lower memory bandwith, and slower memory. A 1660 is a lot better, although doesn't have the nice advantages of a pro (mostly important if you do CAD, but for 3D I'm better of with mainstream cards). if buying a new  o ne, for these things, I'd totally get a 3050, in desktops. 8GB of VRAM, great features for rendering, good performance. But again, before buying anything, I'd rather use certain tool (the one I linked above) to uninstall cleanly the card driver, reboot, install then the latest nvidia driver for your card, reboot again, install the newest (just released) official 2.0.3 version, and see what happens. It can be also other things in y our system (win updates, .net, some conflict, etc)

Your problem would be hard to diagnose if you don't even get the reports (*.dmp files).

That CPU is old (it's 10th generation but intel has 13th in the street) but good enough (depending on what you do, your projects) , you have plenty of RAM, and Windows 11 tends to do well with these apps. So, dunno, imo it's OS/configuration/drivers.

Edit: BTW, if I am not wrong, both sfc and dism do generate logs of their check, you could check them, I just don't remember where they are located. I never memorize that kind of stuff, lol, I just dig for it...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Yep... My memory is terrible but Google is great.... SFC should have stored the results (don't run any of it again before having a look at the logs first) at :

c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

Or typically they're there and that's the log file.

And I believe the DISM logs are stored as:

C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Or I guess, wherever you have installed Windows (for these apps... I think it's better if all goes to C, but that's just animal instinct of mine).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Those two logs are useful if you recently ran the console (I used to call that the DOS terminal) commands sfc or DISM, utilities that check if there are system (Windows) files corrupted that need to be replaced. Despite their length, even your basic Windows Notepad can open them, by just right click on the file, and clicking "Edit".  I get clues from those, in my system. It is often useful to get to know if your Windows have issues, and in which files or area is the thing happening. Useful to try to cure the system, when those two commands may or may not have fixed fully everything.

But if you get a crash, meaning, the Affinity software suddenly closes while doing this operation between document/tabs, there is a high chance that dump files are being generated in your system. If you attach these dump files to a post later, well, then the developers have a chance to diagnose better your problem. To get to know which are those folders in your system to be able to pick those files and attach them here, you have a very simple explanation of how to do it, here :