You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems editing linked text frames.

Paul RB

I have recently been having issues with text editing in linked text frames in Publisher 2 on my iPad. Unfortunately forum staff have not, so far, been able to replicate the issue I am having which leaves me wondering whether the fault is on my side. My iPad works in every other way and has been ‘hard reset’ and had Publisher 2 reinstalled, both of which have made no difference at all, so if the fault is my side I believe I must be doing something wrong without realising. Sadly, if I am unable to find a fix or, at least, a sensible workaround I will probably have to discontinue using Publisher which I don’t want to do as I very much like Serif’s Affinity software.

I have created a test file, with a workflow provided, which I’m hoping a few people might be willing to test for me and, possibly, also advise me if I am missing out an important step in the workflow, say, that could be causing the problem.

(Whereas one of the workflows demonstrates a working scenario in this simple test file this is not a practical solution for larger, text-heavy files containing several linked text frames.)

Thanks.

(iPad Pro 11 Gen 2, IOS 16.1.1, Publisher 2.02)

Crash Test.afpub

15 hours ago, Paul RB said:

I have created a test file, with a workflow provided, which I’m hoping a few people might be willing to test for me and,

Crashed first time I tried editing! Didn’t need to close and reopen.

It’s not your file that the problem. I just created a new file, two linked text boxes and a few words in each. Edit second box a few time then edit first box for crash.

Ive updated to iOS 16.2 so that may be related.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

8 hours ago, DM1 said:

Crashed first time I tried editing! Didn’t need to close and reopen.

Thank you very much for testing and sharing your results. I wouldn’t wish problems on anyone but it is comforting to know this scenario  isn’t confined to just me! 

I haven’t updated IOS beyond 16.1.1 yet. From what you have said though it is not likely to help me with this issue. 

10 hours ago, Paul RB said:

I haven’t updated IOS beyond 16.1.1 yet. From what you have said though it is not likely to help me with this issue. 

Unfortunately I tested using the latest customer beta too. So it’s not just the release version.🙁

Hopefully mods will see the post and notify developers.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:09 PM, Paul RB said:

haven’t updated IOS beyond 16.1.1 yet. From what you have said though it is not likely to help me with this issue. 

Tested again this morning and unable to fault either your file or one of my own! Maddening….. 

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Tested again this morning and unable to fault either your file or one of my own! Maddening….. 

I have been trying to find a realistic workaround for several days now without success - frustrating! I have now updated to IOS 16.2 but, of course, that hasn’t helped with this issue. Hopefully this bug will be reproduced by staff now and fixed with the next Publisher update. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Paul RB,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Can you please confirm for me, are you using an Apple Pencil, and do you have Scribble enabled in iOS settings? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

@Dan C Thanks for coming back to me. I do use Apple Pencil 2 but don't currently have scribble enabled and haven't had it enabled throughout this text issue. (I have tried scribble a few times in the past and recently tried enabling and disabling it again briefly to see if that could somehow make any difference regarding this issue but it didn't.)

Have you been able to reproduce the issue following my steps in the attached document?

• Staff

No problem at all , thanks for confirming that for me!

Our team have identified a few crashes with Linked Text Frames on the iPad, when being selected with an Apple Pencil and due to the inconsistency of this issue I suspect this is the cause of the crashing you're experiencing.

I'll be sure to log your file with our developers now - if you do replicate similar crashing without an Apple Pencil, please do let us know :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

36 minutes ago, Dan C said:

if you do replicate similar crashing without an Apple Pencil, please do let us know :)

Thanks @Dan C. The attached file crashes for me, under the same work flow listed in my file, when using my finger in an attempt to select the text. Having the pencil registered to my system could be the cause, I guess, but I don’t seem to need to be using it at the time for the crash to happen. 

• Staff

Thanks for clarifying for me, I've logged this as a bug with our developers and I'll be sure to update this with the information above to assist in a resolution.

Many thanks for your report again!

• 2 weeks later...