You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo new fill layer colorless

While working on an image in affinity photo I came to a point where the 'new fill layer' layer menu option would add a new fill layer but without color and the fill color could not be changed. It seems this occurs when the last operation prior to adding the new fill layer is drawing a geometric shape with transparent fill.  I don't know but perhaps this happens when other shapes are drawn with transparent fill too.

The work around is to either (1) add another geometric shape with non-transparent fill before adding the new fill layer or (2) after adding the new fill layer change the fill type to 'none' then to the desired fill type after which a color(s) can be selected.

Is there a better way to avoid adding a colorless fill layer?

I am not sure this also applied to AP V1 but in AP V2, if I draw a shape with no fill & then add a Fill Layer, in the Color Studio panel, its opacity is set to 0 (transparent).

The fix is to move the Opacity slider back to 100% (or whatever non-zero value you want). Then the Fill Layer can be set to whatever color you want & it will be displayed as expected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

If you are in V1 I think you need t o rasterise the fill layer.

I don't in V1.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, Geddy said:

BTW the 'colorless' new fill layer in V1 and V2.  

Not sure what you mean by that but I am guessing you mean the behavior is the same in both V1 & V2, right?

Affinity Photo 

On 12/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, R C-R said:

The fix is to move the Opacity slider back to 100% (or whatever non-zero value you want).

My quarter-educated guess is that this behavior is literally by design.
Why?
Because internally, the Fill layer seems to behave as a vector object. And vector objects usually inherit the last used attributes. So a "none" fill of a previously created vector shape is equivalent to 0% opacity of a Fill layer.
Note that vice versa, if you define a Fill layer fill, your next vector shape will inherit exactly that fill as well.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2