You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel Brush Stuck On Force Pressure

I mean - doesn't matter whether I select Force Pressure or not I get Variation with Pressure

I'm sure it wasn't doing this earlier today when i was using some of the Dust Stroke Brushes

Now I have to press really hard to get the effect I was seeing earlier, or set the brush so high it's way larger that the area I'm working on

Bug?

12 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

mean - doesn't matter whether I select Force Pressure or not I get Variation with Pressure

With force pressure width determined by how hard I press. Force pressure off, I get constant width regardless of pressure.

Have you tried a brush reset.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

7 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

What's a brush reset?

A brush reset will reset all your brushes AND remove any additional brush sets you have added 

Information that would have been useful to me before performing the brush reset! Oh by the way, this might remove some brush sets you have installed... 🤦‍♂️

To

10 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Information that would have been useful to me before performing the brush reset!

Brush reset on individual brush won’t remove your brushes.😁 You performed a factory reset on all brushes which unfortunately does remove non default brushes. 😬
For future reference see below.

8FD28440-CB7F-4723-8ED0-761C743A6612.jpeg

3BEE03B8-2146-47DF-B126-CF20B0788A58.jpeg

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Got it now - hold tap on the brush and it's in the settings for the brush. I'm sure I was using this brush without pressure variation before? 

So some brushes are set to pressure variation by default then?

Might help if the app reflected this on the toolbar thingy where you can set the brush settings - or turning the Force Pressure on and off actually had an effect?

I don't understand why it wasn't - maybe a bug?

1 minute ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Got it now - hold tap on the brush and it's in the settings for the brush. I'm sure I was using this brush without pressure variation before? 

Might help if the app reflected this on the toolbar thingy where you can set the brush settings - or turning the Force Pressure on and off actually had an effect?

I don't understand why it wasn't - maybe a bug?

Yes. The toolbar thingy is an override, not meant to be actual settings area for the brush if that makes sense. So if you are using a brush that doesn't have pressure enabled in its settings, it gives you the ability to turn it on on the fly instead of going deep into settings. (I wish this panel were more accessible)

If you need that brush with pressure settings off, you can duplicate that brush, change those settings and then rename however you like.

28 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

A brush reset will reset all your brushes AND remove any additional brush sets you have added 

Information that would have been useful to me before performing the brush reset! Oh by the way, this might remove some brush sets you have installed... 🤦‍♂️

Thought that was what was needed and even stated “A Full Reset of All Brushes”, as you yourself described nothing else was working to fix your issues.

3 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Yes. The toolbar thingy is an override, not meant to be actual settings area for the brush if that makes sense. So if you are using a brush that doesn't have pressure enabled in its settings, it gives you the ability to turn it on on the fly instead of going deep into settings. (I wish this panel were more accessible)

If you need that brush with pressure settings off, you can duplicate that brush, change those settings and then rename however you like.

So if I change the brush settings in the edit menu for each individual brush then it will remain with those settings until I change them again or do a reset? (and does it save these settings for specific files or universally)

And the settings on the toolbar don't change these settings?

I've always been confused as to why there are two different settings for the brush width - I can only assume going forward that there is a logical reason why it's set up this way that I have yet to grasp.

21 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

The brushes referred to have dynamics pressure set to 0%, so works same as if set to none.

The settings can be changed in context tool bar, not saved and retained until brush is deselected or use another brush. if you save then changes are kept until changed or reset.

Settings changed in brush panel are saved until reset or changed.

10 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

So if I change the brush settings in the edit menu for each individual brush then it will remain with those settings until I change them again or do a reset? (and does it save these settings for specific files or universally)

And the settings on the toolbar don't change these settings?

I've always been confused as to why there are two different settings for the brush width - I can only assume going forward that there is a logical reason why it's set up this way that I have yet to grasp.

It will remain however you leave it in the settings, but I always suggest to duplicate the brush first so that you have the default version on hand. (@DM1 explains it better than me)

The button in the toolbar is an override hence "force pressure". It only forces it on if it's off.

image.png.913a1bb3bcf1719dd0d6f92ea94f1934.png