You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity v2 Apps Won't Launch in Windows 10

The "SuperDisplay Virtual Adapter" seems to be something allowing to use a tablet as 2nd monitor?

The "Other devices" might be related to this. What happens when you right click on it and choose uninstall?

The monitor itself is reported as "Generic PnP monitor" which is OK. So it should be possible to select this monitor in the "Color Management" dialog

Regards,
Otto

Affinity Suite v2.4 - Windows 11 Pro

• Staff

Just tried that on my PC - and thats working fine. The VGA Compatible video controller may be the underlying problem. It could be the on-board graphics. Maybe sourcing a video driver from Lenovo is the way forward

Quick update:

I got the drivers for the onboard GPU and it is now where it should be in Device Manager.

I removed SuperDisplay Virtual Adapter as I no longer use it.

I now have a monitor in my Colour Manager.

image.png.86f3de73ade1d91e5af14250ae692891.png

Feels like I am moving forward.

Affinity Apps are still not starting. 

Application: Photo.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
   at <Module>.Serif.Interop.Persona.ColourProfileManager.LoadProfiles(Serif.Interop.Persona.ColourProfileManager*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.Initialise()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Application.OnServicesInitialised(Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.IServiceProvider)
   at Serif.Affinity.Application+<OnServicesInitialised>d__100.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at Photo.Application.Main(System.String[])

Hey guys,

I've been following this topic for weeks in the hope that someone would have a solution. I've gone through and done most of the fixes in this thread, including the most recent "disable the on-chip graphic adapter" one, but to no avail. I've attached my own Event Manager report to see if Murph and I have the same problem (although I'm trying to use Photo, not Publisher). I have no idea if this matters (as it seemed to when I had a problem with a game a while back) but I do have another monitor attached to my laptop and am extending screens. For some reason, that game would only load if I waited to connect the monitor until after it was loaded. I've tried opening Photo with the monitor unattached and that still didn't help, so who knows 🤷‍♂️

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at <Module>.Renderer.FontMetrics.Make(Kernel.Counted<Renderer::FontMetrics const >*, Kernel.Font*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CanRender(Kernel.Font*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CreatePreviewBitmap(System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.EnumFontsW(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object)

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

• Staff

@spidermurph - can you send us the log.txt file which can be found in you user .Affinity folder  (e.g. C:\Users\<auser>\.affinity\Photo\2.0 ) and another copy of the event log now that the monitor issue looks resolved. 

V1 and V2 use quite different methods of using graphics adapters especially regarding OpenCL

at <Module>.Serif.Interop.Persona.ColourProfileManager.LoadProfiles(Serif.Interop.Persona.ColourProfileManager*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Application.OnServicesInitialised(Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.IServiceProvider)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

In the log.

The GPU I have is the GTX 960m

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
    Version: 31.0.15.5123
    IsHardware: Yes
    Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: No
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_139B&SUBSYS_39780000&REV_A2
    LUID: 0x3EDB5A

I will try disabling and let you know.