You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Live Noise Filter turns bleed into a white border

Alxzr

When making a design and adding a Live Noise Filter over all elements, when project is exported as pdf with bleed the PDF contained a white border where the blended artwork should be. This actually applies to the other affinity products in the suite as well (Same happened with 1.0.0 version of the affinity suite)

To Reproduce bug:

1. Make a document with bleed enabled
  2. Add artwork or just a shape and extend it to bleed limits
  3. Add Live Noise Filter
  4. Export PDF

I am using Latest Version and on OSX Monterey

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 9.29.27 PM.png

Edited by Alxzr

11 hours ago, Alxzr said:

adding a Live Noise Filter over all elements, when project is exported as pdf with bleed the PDF contained a white border where the blended artwork should be. This actually applies to the other affinity products in the suite as well (Same happened with 1.0.0 version of the affinity suite)

I can confirm in Publisher StudioLink v1 (no access to v2 at this very moment).

A few thoughts:

• Adding an APh filter on top of everything will rasterize everything underneath. That's something you must be aware of. If that's what you actually want, then alright.
  • Since APh is a bitmap editor, it doesn't need to work with the concept of "bleed" as used in ADe and APu. And since filters are by definitition exclusive APh features, I'm not necessarily "shocked" that they are not aware of bleeds, as it's not within the scope of the generally expected usage of filters.

But yeah, it's a bug nonetheless.

To work around this – provided you really want everything to be rasterized on PDF output for print (something that I personally would not want)…
Apply the noise filter to each individual object as a filter mask:

1. In the Photo persona, duplicate the existing Noise filter as many times as you need via Layer > Duplicate Linked (in case you need an uniform noise everywhere)
  2. Move every instance of the linked filter to each object as a mask
  3. To change the filter value, you need to open just one of them, all other instances will follow since they are linked.
  4. In the Publisher persona, the PDF export will now respect bleed 

apu_live_filter_bleed_bug_workaround.png.a9f6d45c0cee21809d68279a01298db3.png

Double checked in Acrobat Pro:

apu_live_filter_bleed_bug_workaround_acr.png.bd039bf3f49fe722c7731da8a96f3269.png

Other than that, you can also use Color Swatches with the Noise attribute instead, rather than a noise filter.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

19 minutes ago, loukash said:

Color Swatches with the Noise attribute

Here we go:

apu_color_swatch_noise.png.2531710694841dca9875b37736fcf74e.png

apu_color_swatch_noise_acr.png.2a4e1843f30d9246bff710a0d93a0800.png

Note that the noise density on output directly depends on the output ppi. At 300 ppi, the noise will be quite faint.
Another benefit is that shape and text outlines won't be rasterized, at least not e.g. with PDF/X-4. 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

This is the same shit bug that makes exporting to TIFF impossible with bleed. I do not care if it's raster or vector, if it's present in the design and in the bleed, I want it there! Serif has no right to decide for me "oh it's raster, well we won't enable you bleed". Bleed is bleed, doesn't matter what form of image it is! YOU NEED BLEED even in photos that are 100% raster.. because that's how printers work.. But Serif knows better what we want, it's unfixed since the beginning of 2021. 

2 hours ago, norbinw said:

exporting to TIFF impossible with bleed

Bleed is bleed, doesn't matter what form of image it is! YOU NEED BLEED even in photos that are 100% raster.. because that's how printers work..

Can you point me to a Photoshop setting where I can define bleed? Or export a PDF from PS with bleed?
Admittedly, my PS CS5.1 is definitely old by now. But there ain't such thing as bleed.

it's unfixed since the beginning of 2021

I hear you. 
But until it's fixed, we'll have to deal with it as is. Hence work around for the time being.

the same shit bug

Swearing on the forum will unlikely help the case… 

I don't understand where did you come up with Photoshop in this case.. You do know Adobe also has a vector app, and you can export raster elements with PROPER BLEED in Illustrator. 

Just because OP used suite, doesn't mean this same issue is not present in Designer (IT IS). Bleed is a complete joke in this app and they got away with it for years now. 

I am furious because I have constantly reported this bug since 2021 and nobody gave a "poop".  When I make complex designs with lots of effects I like to rasterize all, so print company doesn't mess up. I've had a fair bit of issues printing Designer files, that were OK in app, and had a weird artifact when exported. A bug also not fixed to this day. So I converted to TIFF, but to my surprise there was no bleed. A problem also reported multiple times and not fixed! So I have all the right to swear and rant, because these are not new bugs, and not minor bugs. It's always with a workaround. And that's why this company gets away with this, "meh, just don't bother, there are workarounds. Clive u want another coffee??!". How many years must pass to get this fixed?

38 minutes ago, norbinw said:

I have all the right to swear and rant

Um, not really:
forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/guidelines

Don't get me wrong though. I've been angry quite a few times myself. The thing is that unconstructive rants really don't help anyone.

• Staff

Hi @Alxzr,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm this is logged with our developers as a bug and I'll be sure to 'bump' this with our team now - I will be sure to pass the comments from this thread through to our team as I can certainly understand how frustrating this issue can be.

Our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Live filters cause bleed to export blank" (REF: AF-465) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2150".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.