You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Renaming open files in AD2

You have not missed anything, except (possibly) that what you were doing with version 1 may not have actually been doing what you intended.

Things have changed in V2, and may continue to change, in an effort to get everything working consistently, and the data saved properly.

For now:

1. You can return to the Home Screen, and in Live Docs you can swipe left and choose to duplicate the file. You can then use the burger menu and Save As to give it the name you want. Or
  2. You can simply use the burger menu and use Save As.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 minutes ago, Wilfred Hildonen said:

And well, it did what I intended - change the name of the file without using save as

As i understand it, in some (all?) circumstances such a rename lost the connection between the sandbox version and the on-disk version, and may have ended up saving changes in the wrong file (under the old name) rather than under the new name as you intended. 

The new approach should ensure that changes are always being saved where you expect them to be saved.

If you do it in Files, please make sure you have Saved your file from Live Docs before you do the rename, and that you then Close the file from Live Docs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I thought I wouldn’t bore you with my workflow, but here it is: I’m using AD for some of my nearly daily illustrations and as soon as one is done, I export it as a jpeg to Files and send it to the newspaper. The next day I start a new one. The few seconds I saved by renaming it was just to change the month of the file when the new month began. But as I said, I can easily do that in the Files-app. And I have saved it as a template in AD

I guess it’s not how most users use AD and sometimes I use it for more traditional graphic work as well, but I find that working in vector changes the expression of my illustrations from what they are when I work in Procreate. I also use Adobe Capture to vectorise the roughs I do in Procreate before I export the result as an SVG to AD. Then I continue working on it using vector, but sometimes I add effects in the Pixel Persona as well.

Well, it’s just a very personal workflow which suits me and again, it has very little to do with traditional graphic work in vector :)

Here are a couple of examples…

debatteckning 30.11-2022.jpg

debatteckning 19.11-2022.jpg

Ah I understand, so you never actually saved your original layered work from the hamburger icon outside of the app, you were only using the RENAME function so that when you export as JPEG the JPEG took the name.

The fact that the sandbox file .afphoto or .afdesign file was never saved for future projects was not required in your workflow, with sandbox files being your current sketchpad only. Very nice artwork by the way.

Renaming the jpeg in the files app seems to be additional effort however.

Using either the ‘in place’ strategy of always only using Save As to give a name to the current document for export JPEG purposes which you have stated does not do what you want

or

the alternative ‘keep everything’ strategy by using only left swipe ‘duplicate’ and left swipe ‘save’ appears to me to be easier than using files app, but perhaps I have missed something.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Yes, you got it right. As for rename it in the Files app it’s done in a few seconds. Just click and hold on the file and choose Change name from the pop up. Change it et voilà- done. No need to save or anything. 
I forgot to say that for each new illustration, I choose to select all of the old and delete it, so I start afresh. Mostly I need to change the height as well and a few times even the width. Anyway, it’s a workflow which has worked for me since I got AD

And perhaps I should mention that I always export to Files in order to organise and to have an easy access in case of reuse.