You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPaD V2 Designer: want to join shapes, instead each shape gets closed

VectorCat

I began with a square, split it into two open shapes, and tried to join them so that the result would look like a squashed hexagon. Instead, the shapes closed into two triangles.

So, I see in the video, it’s reporting that the “close” operation just happened, not “join.” Merging the two open triangles and then choosing close didn’t produce a different result.

I can think of other ways of getting the shape I need, but I’d like to be able to nail it with these path tools, too.

Thank you

You need to select one end node of each curve before starting the join.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

You are right, I missed that. One of the node sequence needs to be reversed. Unfortunately I cannot find the symbol or menu in V2 to reverse nodes. It was available in V1.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I played with this some more. Could not find any “reverse” tool for nodes. I got the shape I was after, and the video shows my steps.

What gave the first two nodes the idea that they were curve nodes? The two open triangles came from a square, and I modified no points, except after the first Join procedure gave that wonky curve which went well off screen.

Thank you for any clues.

11 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

I played with this some more. Could not find any “reverse” tool for nodes. I got the shape I was after, and the video shows my steps.

What gave the first two nodes the idea that they were curve nodes? The two open triangles came from a square, and I modified no points at any time, except after the first Join procedure gave that wonky curve which went well off screen.

Thank you for any clues.

Think that it does the ‘rounded’ join simply by default, not sure why…seems like default would be the other way around, applying strait line joining. 
‘Tapping ‘Join’ again…simply converts it into the straight line join. Guess it gives the option…1 tap join- rounded nodes, 2 tap join- straight line. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you, StudioJason

I just experimented joining endpoints of two zig-zag straight-segment lines I created with the pen tool. Converted to curves, selected my points, hit Join and Shazam! It joined the two points straight away - with a straight segment.

Maybe the Join function doesn’t “like” it when a stock shape, like a square, is broken apart, then its ends joined?

Anyway, knowing that points might behave differently than expected is helpful..gives one something to deal with.

21 hours ago, StudioJason said:

Think that it does the ‘rounded’ join simply by default, not sure why…seems like default would be the other way around, applying strait line joining. 
‘Tapping ‘Join’ again…simply converts it into the straight line join. Guess it gives the option…1 tap join- rounded nodes, 2 tap join- straight line. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t get what you mean by ‘tapping join again.’ After I tap Join, the points are joined, and the Join icon is greyed out. Is the 2nd tap somewhere else?

Thank you

1 hour ago, VectorCat said:

I don’t get what you mean by ‘tapping join again.’ After I tap Join, the points are joined, and the Join icon is greyed out. Is the 2nd tap somewhere else?

Thank you

Strange…must have been a glitch or bug, cannot replicate, so disregard.🤷‍♂️

I mean ultimately there are a few ways to do this. 
‘Select all End Nodes or Select 2 similar End Nodes > Join > Close. If any Nodes were Rounded instead of Sharp, tap those Rounded Origin Nodes and tap Sharp….or slide handle to origin.