You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects from both pages/sides of master spread will be placed although it is only applied to one page/side of a layout spread (moved)

Markus M

There seems to be a problem when applying a master page (faced pages) to only one side of a layout page (spread). I have created a paragraph style with automated numbering to automatically number my pictures in a document. On my master page i have placed 2 picture frames on the left side of the spread and two picture frames on the right side of the spread. Below each picture I have placed a text frame to which I have applied the above mentioned paragraph style. The pictures are now automatically numbered across the whole document on any page. If I now apply this master to only the right side of a layout spread, the text frames from the left side are also placed within the "master layer". They are hidden and do not show up on the page, but will be considered for numbering so in the document two numbers will be skipped. This even happens on the first page of the document, so the numbering will start with "3". 

I am aware of the possibility to create separate master pages for every left or right page, but with several page layouts this would double the number of master pages and makes them very confusing as I already have 20 different page layouts...

Manually deleting the unwanted elements from every layout spread doesn't seem to be a convenient option either...

I guess this is a bug and not a feature, or is there anything I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Markus

I think this was an issue in V1, too, and I have a vague memory that it was recognized as a bug. But perhaps it's not fixed yet.

I've tried to search for it, but I can find several discussions that seem related (and in which I participated) but I'm not finding anything where Serif participated nor any where there's a bug tracking tag for the topic.

So unless someone else can find it, you may have to wait for one of the Serif Staff to respond.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here's another thread from today because the same issue applies to text wrap.

The workaround is to also create separate left and right single-sided masters for the times when you need to assign different masters to each side of a spread.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)