You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

mixer brushes no flow problem

AP Mix brush can't get paint on layer; flow no go. I can't get mixer brushes to paint, then sometimes I can. Is it a lack of ram? I had to switch to psd to finish this. 

Also I could us a tutorial on how Dynamic pressure works with Mix brushes. With PSD mixer brushes pressure works fine with 0%

post-386-0-77900000-1453742218_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi kat,

Before painting with the Paint Mixer Brush make sure you have the correct layer selected in the Layers panel. In some cases if you are starting painting and there's no layer selected for example Affinity may automatically create a new empty layer above everithing else and start painting on without considering the colors on the layer you intended to paint.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I was also experiencing problems with Affinity Photo's Paint Mixer Brush in version 1.7.0 for Mac.

What was happening?
While using the Paint Mixer Brush on a Pixel layer, I could brush anywhere on my file and nothing would happen -- no brush strokes, no color, no blending.

What should have been happening?
When using the brush, color should have been picked up from the Pixel layer and then blended with any other colors nearby -- or, smear the color until the effect slowly faded to nothing the further I got from the starting point where the color existed. 

When did I encounter the problem?
During my session, I was switching back and forth between the Brush and Paint Mixer Brush -- trying to create a painterly, blended backdrop. I was also clicking the 'more' button and modifying brush settings in an attempt to get the effect I needed. Eventually, I clicked 'reset' in the brush selection window to go back to the initial state before I had changed everything. Then I went back to the Paint Mixer Brush, and at that point could no longer mix colors using the tool.

Here's a solution that resolved the problem for me:

1. Make a Pixel layer
  2. Use the Brush tool to paint two different splotches of color -- I used yellow and blue
  3. Select the Paint Mixer Brush
  4. Set the Flow to 50%
  5. Adjust the Strength so that it is not at 100% -- for example, try 90% Strength
  6. Then try to blend the two splotches of color
  7. With these setting in place, the Paint Mixer Brush worked like I expected it to again

Thoughts on what is going on here
The tool may be working as intended, and I'm just not understanding the logic. But, what I think is happening is that if either the Strength or Flow are set to extremes (i.e., at 0% or 100%) -- the Paint Mixer Brush effect stops working. In addition, if the Flow is set to 0%, the outline of the brush shape isn't rendered at all (i.e., it looks like the cursor has disappeared when placed over the canvas area). This could be by design, or it could be a bug with the algorithm/functionality that makes the Paint Mixer Brush magic work.

I hope the above helps others who have run into this problem too!

Edited by mvanputt
affect vs. effect (doh!)

This has been bugging me for a while, it's happened to me with the normal brush too. I paint and nothing comes out. The temporary fix for me was to close and open the program about  three times before it went away.