You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clicking text layer in Layers Panel no longer escapes cursor from text

Brian_J

In the V1 apps, if the cursor is active in a text object, clicking the text layer in the Layers Panel escapes the cursor... resulting in the text layer being selected with no active cursor, so I can to use a keyboard shortcut (i.e., using a shortcut doesn't type anything into the selected text).

In V2, clicking a text layer does not escape the cursor from the text object.

I often use the ESC key to escape the cursor, but depending on where I'm at in my workflow, it's convenient to have the option to click the text layer. I'm assuming this is a bug because I don't know why it would have changed in V2.

There are several posts about an issue selecting text. The issue I'm reporting seems unrelated, but I mention it in case the code is somehow related.

3 hours ago, Brian_J said:

In the V1 apps, if the cursor is active in a text object, clicking the text layer in the Layers Panel escapes the cursor... resulting in the text layer being selected with no active cursor, so I can to use a keyboard shortcut (i.e., using a shortcut doesn't type anything into the selected text).

In V2, clicking a text layer does not escape the cursor from the text object.

FWIW it still works the same way in v2 Mac so this is a Windows-specific issue.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Brian_J

This still seems to be working fine for me here on Windows if I hit the small Text box icon to the lefthand side of the layer in the layers panel is this not the case for you?

Thanks
C

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 13.40.02.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

9 hours ago, Callum said:

This still seems to be working fine for me here on Windows if I hit the small Text box icon to the lefthand side of the layer in the layers panel is this not the case for you?

Ah okay, yes that works for me. In V1 clicking the layer thumbnail escapes the cursor, I didn't realize the location moved to the layer icon. Thanks for your help.