You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

the spooky 5th footnote in publisher

Hey there!

First of all THANKS for the notes in Publisher!!! It's great to have it!

But I have already a strange problem with it :-)

If I add footnotes under the text field, I get 4 of them. The 5th is somehow not there and the text field shows, that it must get to the next text field. So I made a new text field and connected it with the one i already had. In that way the 5th footnote  appeared under this new text field.

But what is the problem to get 5 or more footnotes under ONE text field? I think it can be done, but how?

Best regards

Affi

12 minutes ago, affinota said:

But what is the problem to get 5 or more footnotes under ONE text field?

Just a guess: Could it be, that your text frame is too small? Try to make it bigger (wider or higher) or upload a sample .afpub document, as I am not able to reproduce your problem.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

1 hour ago, joe_l said:

Just a guess: Could it be, that your text frame is too small? Try to make it bigger (wider or higher) or upload a sample .afpub document, as I am not able to reproduce your problem.

I already tried this. As it seems, it has nothing to do with the size of the text field. I attached the sample page.

sample.afpub

I found your lost footnote but I'm not sure how it went astray or how to fix this.

In the screenshot below take note the of layer I've selected in the Layers panel - each footnote is a separate child layer of the text frame. I edited this one to LOST FOOTNOTE to help differentiate it from the others. And you'll see that it's selected at the bottom right of the page where it shouldn't be - the footnote text doesn't seem to render when it's gone astray like this.

If I delete this footnote layer it deletes the footnote which is good. I thought the document might be back to normal but no, when I created a new footnote I ended up with a stacked footnotes so that one was covered up by the other.

But there's something else wrong - the Notes panel controls are all disabled and they don't reflect the formatting shown in the document. For example, the Note Position control is set to Bottom of Column but the notes are clearly formatted as Bottom of Frame. I don't know why these footnotes can't be formatted.

So I created a new page with a new frame and copied and pasted all the text from page 1 to the new frame. Same issue, same hidden footnote offset by the same X/Y amount. Notes panel is all still disabled. Oddly, the footnote layer stack order was different but it didn't matter.

So I went back to your original document and deleted the footnotes and added one back and presto, it all worked perfectly. That's great but how did your document get into this state? Did you import the text with footnotes from MS Word perhaps? Can you think of anything else you did leading up to this issue that might have triggered it?

1216565428_Screenshot2022-11-16at8_12_10AM.thumb.png.7c45209413efb10cbac2e9cfe330270e.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

puh.. thanks! But it would be rather sh.... to make all the document new (it just one part of the page of 60 pages). I think, I imported the text from libreoffice, but without any notes, just raw text. I did no special settings (as I understand). For I'm not a pro in Affinity suite, maby I set some strange things without knowing it. But i have no idea, what could it be.

I tried the whole thing on another text frame and got the same result of 'hidden' 5th note. So if you make a new text frame and connect it to the one with the hidden 5th note, this 5th note will appear as a regular note under the new connected frame.

OOOOK!!! it's crazy simple!

it's the setting under the positioning the notes. There I had 72 (I think it's standard). So you can get 4 footnotes (in 9 Arial), the 5th needs a new text field. Via increasing this setting to f. ex. 100, you get the 5th note under the 4th and so on. :)

I am not a scholar so please bear with me if this is a really stupid question... Why five separate footnotes for the citations? Why not one footnote with the five citations?

3 hours ago, affinota said:

the thing is, can I get them in two rows under the text field?

There is a setting somewhere which will allow you to compress the short footnotes into one line. Away from the Mac at the moment.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.