You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Grouping Thumbnail Issue, A Layer Formula, & Layer Icon Spacing

I just wanted to share this. 

I love that AD v2 on iPad now has these thin black lines to divide things in the layers studio. You can see how in v1 theres no division in the layers. Everything is together on a dark gray colored background layer.  In v2, those thin black lines add contrast and separation. You can tell where things are now. It was very much needed. I have an issue though. My first issue is when performing a group action. 

I have a pink and blue square here in my layers that I’ve grouped together in v1 and v2 in the photo below. In v1, when they’re grouped, the thumbnail of the layer shows my pink and blue square grouped. I like that a lot because my layer thumbnail is showing me what I have on that layer thats now grouped. However, in v2, when they’re grouped, my thumbnail layer is a folder icon. I don’t like that because I don’t know whats in that layer. Its not showing me whats in my layer. Its just showing a big folder icon. I have to collapse that layer to see whats inside my group layer. So this is an issue because 1, I don’t know whats in my layer. I’d prefer v1s thumbnail because it shows me a thumbnail of my layer when its grouped and everything inside it. 2, that folder icon should not be there. That folder icon should have been to the far left side of my layer to tell me what type my layer is since that new feature was introduce that tells you what type of layer your layer is through these new icons.

So my layer in v2 should be displaying a thumbnail of what inside my layer(pink and blue square) and this folder icon should be to the far left to indicate this layer is a “group” layer type. Thats my first issue. Look at example 1 for reference of how it should be in the photo below.

My second issue is I don’t like that the collapse icons and these new layer type icons are on top of each other in this one tiny box. I think that goes against adding these thin black lines to show contrast and division. I think these 2 icons should be separated and be in their own little box because you got 2 icons in this very tiny, tiny little box.  I have to look at both icons in the same box and do some extra thinking. I just think that they should be separated. Look at example 2 for reference.

I don’t know if we can follow this new "layer formula" below for our layers.

Collapse Icon ~ Layer type ~ Thumbnail ~ Layer Name ~ FX ~ Lock Icon ~ Visibility ~ Tags

Also, can we add those thin black lines for the lock and FX icons in the layers. They are just way too close to each other and need some separation. There needs to be more spacing between these icons. Look at the photo below for reference. 

Layers.png

For the thumbnails:

image.png.d063d224bd23305ff6c34911e59b401c.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...