You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Divide Bug

I have been creating many icons in V1 faster than shape builder in V2, Because in V2 is not recommended because the divide tool is not like V1. I wonder is it bug or just new feature in V2. if it was the feature, I feel bad because divide in V1 faster and easier than shape builder V2 (if creating many icons). i hope affinity can make the divide in V2 like in V1

(Please watch the video) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi,
As it has been mentioned in the other thread below, the actual operation you're looking for is the Layer > Geometry > Separate Curves. 

Divide is really intended to break  multiple selected objects up by their overlapping parts. As demonstrated below.  If you have a single 'Curves' object and want to separate out its multiple curve components as shown in the V1 example in the video then Separate Curves is the actual operation.

However this has still been passed over to development to make V2 Divide respond in the same way as V1 when users are wanting to separate their curves.
image.png

Can confirm that.

This is my demo file with a Fontawesome icon converted to path.

v2-path-divide-test-fail.afdesign

In this case with the path selected i can only either use boolean "add (Hinzufügen)" or "separate (Aufteilen)".

In v2 separate has no effect:

image.thumb.png.f5f2f0fa88cc210ea03c8c47494ce8c1.png

In v1 the same path works as expected:

image.png.c0bfe6e6a79d711aced50347bff713b2.png

image.png.a76fd0cce06803bef69405b4159f3475.png

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

Separate Curves seems to work fine for me. The layer must be Curves Layer, not a Curve (not plural) layer.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Designer v2 does it right!

For this result you need a break apart / separate curves operation. V1 just did it differently/wrong.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

Thanks! That does the trick!

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

9 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Separate Curves seems to work fine for me. The layer must be Curves Layer, not a Curve (not plural) layer.

Wait what the heck is the difference between a curve and a curves with an s and how do i convert a shape to a curveS ?

I am following a tutorial from v1 that used the divide function but separate curves isn't working for what i am trying to do either

You have Curve A and Curve B. They must overlap, then go to Layer>Geometry>Merge Curves. Now instead of having 2 Curve Layers, you have 1 Curves Layer. To break them apart, just go to Layer>Geometry>Separate Curves.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Divide no longer performs a separate curves action on single objects" (REF: AFD-6176) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1742/3".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.