You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 seems laggy at times

Chris from Serif has indicated that this issue has been sent to the developers and is now under investigation.

I am finding that the whole UI is sluggish compared to V1 and it makes using V2 very frustrating, so much so I have reverted back to V1 for any serious work.

I trust this will be resolved ASAP because as it is quite a fundamental problem in my opinion.

I get stutters from simple interactions in small files. Both in V1 and V2. Panning with the middle mouse, zooming in or out, deselecting, moving your mouse to the tool window, etc... cases a massive frame rate drop for a few seconds. It's very inconsistent. I'm a bit sad about this, because I got my hopes up when I heard about a V2. I thought that would have been the number one issue to adress :/

53 minutes ago, KasperKnop said:

I get stutters from simple interactions in small files. Both in V1 and V2. Panning with the middle mouse, zooming in or out, deselecting, moving your mouse to the tool window, etc... cases a massive frame rate drop for a few seconds. It's very inconsistent. I'm a bit sad about this, because I got my hopes up when I heard about a V2. I thought that would have been the number one issue to adress :/

Did you disable hardware acceleration in parameters ? It causes such things.

6 hours ago, KasperKnop said:

Yes I did. Did not help. Seems like it is an issue with how the software interacts with gsync.

Hi, it’s not an openCL hardware acceleration problem, it’s something else which Serif Staff have recognized and it is being investigated now by the developers, and hopefully an update will appear very quickly with a fix. Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, andersp5 said:

Hi, it’s not an openCL hardware acceleration problem, it’s something else which Serif Staff have recognized and it is being investigated now by the developers, and hopefully an update will appear very quickly with a fix. Fingers crossed!

I would be so happy if that was the case, but I have already waited years for this fix, so I doubt it will be sorted out any time soon :/

V2 is very very slow and nearly unusable in my daily work. Especially if i use effect layers and transparencies and Forms (here Buttons).

This image is my normal use case. Nothing special and not very comples. It is a 4k image which is fast in V1 but here it is very laggy and it needs seconds to switch from one layer to the other. I don´t know what affinity thinks. This is not good. And i cannot go back to V1 because the projects does not work. It seems with all problems Photoshop is the better solution for people who needs to finish work and not just for fun... i am not impressed after the days i am working on my projects. 

image.thumb.png.79b3f42160f0e59f6068fca1cca4f059.png

Yes. Currently i rasterize all layers and then i can work. But the workflow ist like 10 years ago and i need to work, so it is not great to have this :( I have a huge list of problems and small bugs and i think other peoples too. I don´t think that serif can fix this stuff soon, it may need month until a first update and we can really work. 

I have also noticed that photo 2 is quite a bit slower especially when opening image files from the hard drives. This also affects "new from clipboard" if I have image copied from somewhere else. The new benchmark also gives me roughly half of the performance 1.10 benchmark gives (14k vs 27k) on my RTX 4090.

For me it is much slower. When i zoom out the image to very small. I can smoothly move the layers. If i zoom in, it is getting slower and slower and slower :( When i rasterize, it is getting faster. 

Opening the files in V1 does not work. A workaround is to copy all layers and paste into V1 ;) I wish they had included a solution like PSD files where only missed features are ignored. The same works well when i copy all my layers and paste it... works well and without problems. But it is not a good workflow when someone have to work with the software...

On 11/13/2022 at 10:02 PM, KasperKnop said:

I would be so happy if that was the case, but I have already waited years for this fix, so I doubt it will be sorted out any time soon :/

Well, I hope that Serif don't take years to fix this because as it stands the V2 AP is virtually unusable. I have reverted back to V1. V2 in my opinion is not stable enough or bug free enough to release as a commercial product and this will certainly damage Serifs reputation. To be honest, I am very disappointed that they have released such a flawed version but what makes me more concerned is that they are not fixing all the bugs in the previous versions before releasing the latest versions.

Customer feedback and a companies reputation relies on good feedback and from what I am picking up from this release is that many are having severe problems and that is not good for Serif!

On 11/15/2022 at 6:18 AM, andersp5 said:

Well, I hope that Serif don't take years to fix this because as it stands the V2 AP is virtually unusable. I have reverted back to V1. V2 in my opinion is not stable enough or bug free enough to release as a commercial product and this will certainly damage Serifs reputation. To be honest, I am very disappointed that they have released such a flawed version but what makes me more concerned is that they are not fixing all the bugs in the previous versions before releasing the latest versions.

Customer feedback and a companies reputation relies on good feedback and from what I am picking up from this release is that many are having severe problems and that is not good for Serif!

Same thoughts here!
But the bugs seem to appear in ALL the V2 Suite products which is a shame!

Im replying to keep this alive... I am new to the AF products but my computer is new and capable of running these programs yet i am having so many little bugs and issues. I hope there is communication on when an updated version will come out. I would have happily bought the V1 versions but i do not think those are available any longer and I only had the iPad Designer before. I bought the universal license and I really wanna practice on them and get used to them but its so difficult with the lag! And yes unchecking the openCL helped a bit but not 100%

On 11/20/2022 at 12:43 AM, saraartist said:

Im replying to keep this alive... I am new to the AF products but my computer is new and capable of running these programs yet i am having so many little bugs and issues. I hope there is communication on when an updated version will come out. I would have happily bought the V1 versions but i do not think those are available any longer and I only had the iPad Designer before. I bought the universal license and I really wanna practice on them and get used to them but its so difficult with the lag! And yes unchecking the openCL helped a bit but not 100%

Having used V1 of Affinity Photo and V1 of Affinity Publisher from the very beginning and assuming the Serif strategy remains the same they will take all our bugs and issues onboard and will issue updates. For example V1 had over 10 versions and it improved each time for the better so I have great expectations of V2 going forward.

I am of the opinion that the product is not yet fit for purpose, it's worse than V1 ever was and that should not be the case with a version 2, so like you I am too very disappointed, especially after the hype they gave it.

The changes etc are great but lets face it, if they don't sort out why it is so sluggish and laggy compared to V1 then all the changes, as excellent as they are, are more or less worthless if you can't really use the programme because of a poor performance issue. I am a devoted fan of Serif and it pains me to have to say this but it needs saying because what they have provided is of inferior quality to the original in the field of performance. This must be a PR disaster for them....it really does not look good and especially for someone like yourself who is new to the platform.

Having said all this, stick with it, they will bring out updates and I suspect that will not be too long, they are a great company and I know they will be as disappointed as you and I are at the errors in this release, especially its poor performance. It is a great set of programmes that integrate really well, their efforts are very much appreciated by thousands of us and to be fair the release price is very reasonable but it does have to at least perform better or the same as the original V1 though in my opinion, I think they would agree.

You are correct openCL is not the real issue

V1 may still available to download, have a look on their website, if not send them an email as they will help you of that I am sure.