You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

“The file includes features from a later version of Affinity” - Mac OS package won’t open on iPad

Kate K

Just tried to open a package created in Publisher 2 for Mac Desktop on my iPad (Publisher 2) and got the message “The file includes features from a later version of Affinity”. I tried with two different package files. Any ideas? I can open the files but not if they are packaged.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Do you get the same error if you try and open it on the Mac that's created that file? 

Hi Gabe, this might be a similar issue. There's a test file in this thread which gives me the same error when I try to open it.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 9 months later...

Has this been solved? I have 1.9 on macOS. Wanted to work on my file while away from desktop, so I got the iPad version, opened the file. Only found the time to add one text box to the file and paste text into it. Came back to desktop and it tells me I cannot open the file because it contains new features. What new features? Since when is textbox a new feature? Now countless hours of work are lost because I opened a file on iPad. How is this okay? Why aren't there any warnings about this? And I cannot even restore my file to previous version because fort this I need to open the file and then go to File > Restore Previous Version. I also don't have a time machine backup. Severely disappointed in Affinity for this gross oversight. 

SOLVED: Get a trial version of V2, then copy paste all objects back into a new V1 file. 

Edited by Nuka.Kola
update

45 minutes ago, Nuka.Kola said:

Has this been solved? I have 1.9 on macOS. Wanted to work on my file while away from desktop, so I got the iPad version, opened the file. Only found the time to add one text box to the file and paste text into it. Came back to desktop and it tells me I cannot open the file because it contains new features. What new features? Since when is textbox a new feature? Now countless hours of work are lost because I opened a file on iPad. How is this okay? Why aren't there any warnings about this? And I cannot even restore my file to previous version because fort this I need to open the file and then go to File > Restore Previous Version. Severely disappointed in Affinity for this gross oversight. 

Files saved using V2 are not usable with the V1 applications, at all. There is no backward compatibility when the Version number (1., 2.) changes, nor when the major release number (number after the first ., e.g., 2.0, 2.1, 2.2) changes. So if you recently purchased the application for the iPad, and thus you have V2, you will need to purchase V2 for your desktop system, too, if you want file compatibility.

I agree there should have been a warning, but I see that the 2.1 releases on iPad still don't warn when a 1.10 document is Opened.

By the way: 1.9 is downlevel. 1.10 is the current V1 version of the Affinity applications. But that wouldn't help you with this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:41 AM, Gabe said:

Do you get the same error if you try and open it on the Mac that's created that file? 

@Gabe, it's pretty outrageous that Serif hasn't implemented the file compatibility warnings in the iPad editions as well.

This is a true example of how such usability shortcomings have consequences for customers.

Do you really expect customers to read all that mumbo-jumbo about file versions and come here for help? It's pure UNIX conditions.