You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shift F6 > Feather on Mac glitch?

I have come across a glitch with the command 'Shift + F6'.

On a windows PC using Affinity Photo 1.10.5 I use 'Shift + F6' and then type in a numerical value for the 'Radius px' using my PC key board.

However, on a Mac (Studio Max) running Affinity Photo 1.10.5 using the same command  'Shift + F6'  brings up the feather window which refuses to allow me to type in a 'Radius px' value using any of the number keys. I always have to use the available slider when using the Mac. 

Why is this simple function available on Windows and not Mac?

Perhaps you just have to click in the field to give it focus, then type?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps you just have to click in the field to give it focus, then type?

I just tried that, and yes it does work! But that means the Mac version of Affinity Photo works differently to the Windows version. Plus anyone coming from Photoshop will expect to be able to bring the feather command up and then just type a value for the feather without having to click in the dialogue box to enter a value using the numerical keys.

The Affinity software interface should be consistent in its use and not have little niggly differences between the OS's!

I forgot to mention that if I bring up the feather command dialogue window on my Mac using 'Shift + F6' and if I am in autopilot mode (Not thinking too much about which software I am actually using) and type a figure for the amount of feather required for the active selection using any of my keyboards numerical keys 'Affinity Photo' starts to change the opacity of the layer the selection is on. Why is that happening? I have an active selection with an active command window open, but the software decides I want to change the layers opacity and not apply the feather? 

29 minutes ago, Paul Batty said:

Why is that happening?

It's happening because the field in the dialog does not have the focus, and because the number keys are used to change the opacity of the active layer when nothing else has the focus.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's happening because the field in the dialog does not have the focus, and because the number keys are used to change the opacity of the active layer when nothing else has the focus.

But if I tell the software by using 'Shift + F6' to get the 'Feather' command, that is surely telling the software to focus on the feather command and not change the opacity. If the same command works in Windows and function correctly on a Windows machine why not on Mac. To me that is a glitch and not operator error!

• Staff

Thank you for the screen recording, when the feather selection box appears after using Shift+F6 it is not active so when you start typing a numeric value you are rather adjusting the opacity level so you will need to click the feather selection box and then start typing the numeric value. 

6 minutes ago, DWright said:

Thank you for the screen recording, when the feather selection box appears after using Shift+F6 it is not active so when you start typing a numeric value you are rather adjusting the opacity level so you will need to click the feather selection box and then start typing the numeric value. 

OK, Ive just checked on my Windows computer with the same version of Affinity Photo. When I use the command 'Shift + F6' I can enter a numeric value in the Feather dialogue box without having to click in it. Just like I can in Photoshop.

So basically you are saying that Affinity Photo is not consistent in operation across operating systems, is that correct? 

I know I can click inside the active selection and drag to change the amount of feather, that bit of useful UI is actually consistent across the OS’s. So why the difference for the very basic function of just being able to type a number in.

I’m just trying to help you make a great piece of software better.

• 2 weeks later...