You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto adjustment for tiff?

I had an image that needed both sharpening and noise reduction, but in different areas. Normally I would just load an image into AP, duplicate the layer, do what work I needed to do on each and combine the layers. But this time I decided to do the adjustment in my workflow tool and the layer combination in APB to see how the result came out. So, using CaptureOne, I created a duplicate of the raw image, ran sharpening on one and noise reduction on the other and sent them both to AP (as tiffs) to remove the subject in one and replace it with the other.

However, much to my surprise, when the images opened in AP they did not look the same as they did in C1. It looked as though AP had applied some automatic adjustments to the tiff before opening it and, no matter how hard I tried, I could not find any way to get it to revert to the original image. Hence two questions:

1) Does AP apply any adjustments when opening a tiff and

2) If so, is there any way to either prevent those adjustments from being applied or reverse the adjustment (like an 'undo'). There is no history so there is nothing to reverse.

Well, OK. I guess that is actually 3 questions, but I think the questions are clear.

Thanks.

• Staff

I've just quickly tried this using some basic adjustments in CaptureOne and the image looks the same in both Affinity Photo and CaptureOne. Just to confirm, when you don't apply any adjustments in CaptureOne and then Edit in Affinity Photo the images look the same?

I will continue to try and replicate using Sharpening and Noise Reduction.

I've just quickly tried this using some basic adjustments in CaptureOne and the image looks the same in both Affinity Photo and CaptureOne. Just to confirm, when you don't apply any adjustments in CaptureOne and then Edit in Affinity Photo the images look the same?

I will continue to try and replicate using Sharpening and Noise Reduction.

The problem seems to show up for me when I do most of my adjustments in CaptureOne and then send a tiff to APB to take care of some specific issue. For example I might want to use both sharpening and noise reduction on different parts of an image so I will create a clone of the raw, sharpen one and apply NR to  the other and send them both to APB. The version of  the sharpened image does not appear the same in APB as in C1 and I was forced to ask if there was any automatic adjustments being applied to tiffs as there are to raws.

That is basically the question. Does AP (or APB) apply any auto adjustments to a tiff when it loads it? Or to a jpg? I know if does with raws (based on the DA settings), but what about tiffs and jpgs?

• Staff

Hi,

No, we do not apply any auto adjustments at all when opening a TIFF file (or any other file aside from RAW).. any difference in colour must be related to the application of (or lack of) an embedded ICC profile..

As far as I am aware, we correctly obey embedded profiles in TIFF files - but if you can demonstrate to the contrary, I will of course make an effort to fix it :)

Thanks again Mike,

Andy.

Hi,

No, we do not apply any auto adjustments at all when opening a TIFF file (or any other file aside from RAW).. any difference in colour must be r

elated to the application of (or lack of) an embedded ICC profile..

As far as I am aware, we correctly obey embedded profiles in TIFF files - but if you can demonstrate to the contrary, I will of course make an effort to fix it :)

Thanks again Mike,

Andy.

Andy,

Thank you for the response. 

I believe I have noticed a coloration change from the workflow software I use for most adjustments and the way the image appears in APB when I send it to it, so I asked if there were any auto adjustments applied when a tiff is opened. You tell me no, and I have no reason to question your statement. If APB is not adjusting the tiff, then it is either the export to APB by CaptureOne or my imagination. I was comparing the adjusted raw (in CaptureOne) and the opened tiff (in APB). I will go back and compare the CaptureOne tiff and the APB tiff.

Thank you again.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.