You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Crash when cleaning up styles after pasting in content

CanneH

I am trying to re-use some content from an old document in a new document. When you paste in content from other documents, Publisher automatically creates the styles from the old doc in the new doc.  I then have to change the styles of the text in the new document and delete the old styles. I am using the Find feature to locate the old styles.  After I clean up the old styles, I try to have Publisher delete unused styles. Sometimes, it doesn't clean up the old style, so I manually delete it.  I have been working like this for a couple of weeks on a large document, and I have had frequent crashes that occur when I am working on cleaning up the styles. It is very frustrating to be working on a document and suddenly have it drop out from under you.  

Is there a better way to clean up the old styles, or to paste into the new document more effectively? In my ideal world, the content would paste into the new document and automatically map styles of the same name so the text uses the new version of the style in the new document. I try to use Paste without styles, but when working with large Tables, this is very hard to do.  Also, I would like to preserve the styling of headers when pasting in. 

Help! This is so frustrating.

• Staff

Hi @CanneH,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

17 hours ago, CanneH said:

I have been working like this for a couple of weeks on a large document, and I have had frequent crashes that occur when I am working on cleaning up the styles. It is very frustrating to be working on a document and suddenly have it drop out from under you.  

Would you be able to provide a copy of this document to the below link for me so I can investigate this further please?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/aIoOrMwtzJq8TzZjoaaV

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know.

Is there a better way to clean up the old styles, or to paste into the new document more effectively? In my ideal world, the content would paste into the new document and automatically map styles of the same name so the text uses the new version of the style in the new document. 

Unfortunately there's no feature I'm aware of that can paste content and automatically map it to existing text styles of the same name, my apologies.

I personally would recommend Paste Without Style and then locally applying the Style required in Publisher to ensure your text from different sources all uses the same Text Style, with no redundant duplicate Styles etc.

I would like to preserve the styling of headers when pasting in

If you require the Style when pasting in Publisher then the app will create a new text style for this in order to preserve the formatting, as far as I'm aware there's no option to paste with the formatting and not create an automatic style, my apologies.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!