You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertical Alignment reset on data merge

LoudYeti

I love the data merge tool in Publisher and while I am new to the program I think I found a bug with it or at least can't get something to work. 

I made a text box that is a the correct size for up to two lines of text.

Then I previewed a data merge CSV with a single line of text and the text is Vertically centered in the box. 

If I preview a data merge CSV that has two lines - the second line is cut off.

I then can not change anything but press vertically align again and both lines show up looking nice.

So it seems with using data merge the text box doesn't respect the vertical alignment of the CURRENT text but keeps position of the text in what ever it's previous state was. 

Not sure if it's a bug or expected but how do I get the program to ALWAYS vertical align regardless of how many characters are in the CSV?

Vertical Aligned Single Text.png

Same Box but with two lines of text.png

Change nothing but hit vertial align again.png

Edited by LoudYeti

54 minutes ago, LoudYeti said:

I made a text box that is a the correct size for up to two lines of text.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

When you created the Text Frame, what alignment options did you specify for it? 

Can you give us a screenshot showing that before you do the Data Merge previewing? A sample .afpub document before there Data Merge might also help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Either make your frame slightly larger or the font size slightly smaller.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

So it does seem to be a proper bug!!! 

The center is in fact respected but the program doesn't refresh the text box when you select a different text set from Data Merge.

If I nudge the text box auto snaps to proper vertical alignment. To prevent having to touch multiple pages of text if you close the document and re-open it the lines appear as they should.

I am unsure if this but is present on a Windows device but I will be purchasing the Affinity Suite later today to check. But it is a real bug on Mac both in Big Sur and Monterey in Publisher 1.10.5

What happens when you actually Generate a new file from this? Is the text still out of phase? 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I came across this a couple of weeks back and had been planning to log it at some point.  The preview has the bug, but fortunately when Generated, the vertical alignment is sorted.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release