You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blend Mode of Layer Effects (Affinity Photo Mac version)

Anitainment

Dear Community

I'm getting wrong results withe the same .APHOTO file using the Mac version (1.10.5 and all before) of Affinity Photo.

When I use Blend Mode: "Darker Color" in Layer Effects it only works correct with the PC version.

Settings (for the red square):

afphoto-shadow-darker-color-test-settings.thumb.jpg.a71c37fb42d77c989f8325d137f43682.jpg

Result on the PC (desired):

afphoto-shadow-darker-color-test-pc.png.dd252049cf19306161d219f8b926673b.png

Result on the Mac (buggy?):

afphoto-shadow-darker-color-test-mac.png.2bd5edec3310a928bdade5185256e654.png

I also attached the source file. Can anyone reproduce the error or is it only on my machine (MacBook Pro running MacOs 12.3.1)?

afphoto-shadow-darker-color-test_01.afphoto

Additional fact: When I switch to Affinity Designer (1.105) the result is correct.

I would really appreciate equal results for equal settings on both systems.

Greetings,
Henry

• Staff

Hi @Anitainment welcome to the forums,

I've moved this over to the bugs section as it fits more appropriately here.

55 minutes ago, Anitainment said:

Result on the PC (desired):

afphoto-shadow-darker-color-test-pc.png.dd252049cf19306161d219f8b926673b.png

Result on the Mac (buggy?):

afphoto-shadow-darker-color-test-mac.png.2bd5edec3310a928bdade5185256e654.png

Had you accidentally switched the order of these images in your post? I've been able to replicate the issue but the opposite way round.

Below is how the outer shadow appears on Photo on Windows:

image.png

And Mac Monterey:

image.png

How it appears on Windows Photo is how I would expect it to appear, with the outer shadow visible on the transparent areas of the canvas in line with the other blend modes. I'm currently checking if this has been logged previously and if not i'll get this inconsistency logged up.

Hello NathanC

Thanks for your reply. I haven't switched the order of these images. It is really strange that you have it the other way around. Please have a look at the following screenshot done on a Mac showing the same file in both programmes:

659053333_Screenshot2022-09-14at17_09_17.thumb.jpg.7e67dc2eb77d25949458299eef4845fc.jpg

What I'm not sure about is the “correct” behavior. I used the one without having the shadow on the transparent area excessively. It comes in handy when you want to show a sort of “flying elements” that only put shadows on each other. If this effect was not intended — thanks for the cool feature! I will miss it. However, consistency would be nice.

Cheers,
Henry

Here on Mac OS 11.7 I do not see any shadow on the transparent background. Your document looks like your Windows screenshot and the Designer screenshot in the above post.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On Windows 10, I get the same result in both Photo and Designer: no shadow on the transparent background. (If I add a white rectangle as a background then the shadow shows on that. To be honest, I'm not really sure what the "Darker Colour" Blend Mode is supposed to be doing!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad