You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i need feedback/help with Knockout Group tutorial

Im following the latest GraphicalFinity tutorial, which shows a nice Knockout Group trick.

Sadly i can not replicate this effect and im wondering if its a Mac versus Windows problem (Mr. Graphical is on a Mac, im on Windows).

The steps are:

1. on top of an image, create a 'Blur Live Filter' and group it (Blendmode of the group is Passthrough).

2. inside the group and on top of the the Filter, type your text in white.

3. set the white textlayer to 'Multiply' so it becomes invisible.

4. Add an 'Outline' FX to the text.

Here is the problem:

when i follow the steps, nothing gets blurred and the Outline is visible. This is not what happens in the tutorial.

What should happen is the blur is confined to the text and there is an Outline on top.

When i put the text underneath the 'Blur Live Filter', the image inside the text area gets blurred, but there is no visible Outline. Instead the Outline is added to the text area.

So either im doing something wrong, or the effect works differently on Windows and Mac.

Can somebody confirm , please ?!

slice1.png.aecc2d9bd26e604f1bdf9ab3ef184170.png

slice2.png.0057550266c9b7d74460a29cbd0811a9.png

I haven’t watched the full video, so I’m not aware of the steps used, but I skipped to near the end and my attached image shows one way to do what I think they are doing but without the group. The ‘trick’ is to use the text (or other shape) as a clipping mask. (It also works with the Outline Effect if you also set the Fill Opacity to 0%.)

This doesn’t ‘fix’ the issue you brought up, I’m just showing that it can be done a different way if you need to ‘crack on’ with things.

image.thumb.png.51e709a32a5c8014bae5519ea6e5cb2c.png

I am wondering if the "unknown feature" * was actually a bug that got fixed back last year.

* quote from the start of the video.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, ESPR said:

(Mr. Graphical is on a Mac, im on Windows).

Im also on windows and I can't replicate exactly the video either.
The first problem I encountered was the blur without the hard edge as seen in the video. So, I had to check preserve alpha.

Layers.png.3588a4535484190ad84d93a24971e877.png

The second problem was the outline. Tried several things, some of them with crazy rendering results.

render.jpg.620b0399e4ca0900cd1a463248f0789c.jpg

One thing that worked for me was to duplicate as linked (Layer > Duplicate Linked) and apply the fx to the text.

DupLink.jpg.33c257fd34a4e02d6dbf8e05af308881.jpg

I tried to replicate as best I could but as I just watched the video there are probably easier ways.
If you find an easier way, please share it with us.

13 hours ago, Lisbon said:

Im also on windows and I can't replicate exactly the video either.

*snip*

I tried to replicate as best I could but as I just watched the video there are probably easier ways.

Thanks for testing !

Im mostly interested in the technique, not the effect.

Seems like its based on a bug and not consistent across platforms.

I dont even know how to make a bug report for this...

6 hours ago, ESPR said:

Thanks for testing !

You're welcome.

7 hours ago, ESPR said:

Seems like its based on a bug and not consistent across platforms.

Once the inconsistency is resolved, we will probably have to revise this technique at some point.

7 hours ago, ESPR said:

I dont even know how to make a bug report for this...

The only thing I know is that there is an inconsistency between platforms. Which one is right? Are they both wrong? I dont know.