You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Enhancement Suggestion: Export Persona bounded size

When exporting using the Export Persona, it would be useful to be able to specify the maximum image dimensions and for the exported image to be sized to fit within those dimensions but maintaining its current aspect ratio.

For example, I would specify 1600(w) x 1200(h) (common size for photo club submissions) and the results would be:

- Original image 6000(w)x4500(h) would be exported as 1600(w)x1200(h)

- Original image 4500(w)x6000(h) would be exported as 900(w)x1200(h)

- Original image 6000(w)x2000(h) would be exported as 1600(w)x533(h)

Welcome to the forums @AndyMcD

Unless I’m not understanding your requirements properly, I’m pretty sure that you can already do what you want to do.
In my example image, I have told the software to export the image with a width of 500 pixels and the resultant image will have the same aspect ratio as the original. In my case 1920×1280 is exported as 500×333.
You can add more export presets to give you the same slice at different sizes.

image.thumb.png.dfa3133fe37d0ab4f3fe80a2a80a3b2d.png

35 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @AndyMcD

Unless I’m not understanding your requirements properly, I’m pretty sure that you can already do what you want to do.
In my example image, I have told the software to export the image with a width of 500 pixels and the resultant image will have the same aspect ratio as the original. In my case 1920×1280 is exported as 500×333.
You can add more export presets to give you the same slice at different sizes.

image.thumb.png.dfa3133fe37d0ab4f3fe80a2a80a3b2d.png

Thanks @GarryP

Yes, but what I am looking for is a setting that works for landscape and portrait format pictures using one setting. For now, I am creating two outputs - one at 1600 wide and one at 1200 high, I then have to choose the correct one. Other software packages (e.g. Capture One) allows me to specify this with one setting.

2 hours ago, AndyMcD said:

Yes, but what I am looking for is a setting that works for landscape and portrait format pictures using one setting. For now, I am creating two outputs - one at 1600 wide and one at 1200 high, I then have to choose the correct one. Other software packages (e.g. Capture One) allows me to specify this with one setting.

Only way this would work would be to have a scaling factor working with files that are all the same size to start with. For example all the CR2 files from my Canon are the same pixel size so it would be a .231481481481481x entry in the size field and this would work with portrait and landscape being sized to 1200 pixels wide or 1200 pixels high. But if I use files from my Pentax then the exported files will be smaller because the Pentax files are smaller.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 hours ago, AndyMcD said:

Yes, but what I am looking for is a setting that works for landscape and portrait format pictures using one setting.

You could probably do this using Equations in a macro in the default persona

The macro could also take you directly to the export persona, as its last step, if you specifically want to export there or alternatively just use File > Export

The benefit of a macro is that you can also batch process lots of files at the same time, if required (File > New Batch Job...)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

17 hours ago, carl123 said:

You could probably do this using Equations in a macro in the default persona

The macro could also take you directly to the export persona, as its last step, if you specifically want to export there or alternatively just use File > Export

The benefit of a macro is that you can also batch process lots of files at the same time, if required (File > New Batch Job...)

Aha @carl123 I hadn't come across Macros until now - this is an interesting feature and helps somewhat. I can't quite recreate what Capture One allows me to do (especially as it allows me to run an external app as part of the export process) but this is a real help - so thanks :)

On 8/22/2022 at 10:19 PM, AndyMcD said:

Aha @carl123 I hadn't come across Macros until now - this is an interesting feature and helps somewhat. I can't quite recreate what Capture One allows me to do (especially as it allows me to run an external app as part of the export process) but this is a real help - so thanks :)

Following up on this, I have re-ordered how I do things based on what Affinity Photo supports using the Export Persona and then a macro and I can get exactly what I need. Thanks for all of the advice everyone!