You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Updated “Clipboard” Context Menu

So right now there is something called the “Context Menu.”  I think its called the context menu. The way to bring out this menu is to press down with 1 finger on the screen, release, and a menu should appear with deselect, paste, copy, and cut in it. This is called the Context menu. Its has your basic copy paste actions.

I like the menu, but I don’t like it design wise. The reason why is because its designed in a style that doesn’t belong in the app. Its like a menu from the very earlier ipad apps. Right when apps were just starting to take off. I also don’t like it because there are some actions that I want on this menu that aren’t on the menu. I want to see those actions on this menu. I also don’t like it because its a “spelled out” menu meaning instead of using the icons for cut, copy, paste, and deselect the menu has been spelled out for you. I hate when things are spelled out. Its just wordy and over time you prefer icons because you know what the actions do already that you don’t need them spelled out for you anymore. Plus, icons take up less space. 

This menu is needed. Very needed. I saw an affinity designer user use this menu the other day and it just blew my mind how they used it in their workflow. It was so awesome that it made me love this menu a little more. So this menu needs the following updates done to it.

1. I think it should be called the “Clipboard Context Menu” because it has “clipboard” actions in it.

2. It needs to be redesigned in the style of the toolbar which is just a thicker gray/black bar.

3. Other clipboard actions need to be added to it. 

4. Its needs to be turned into icons. No spelling. Just all icons.

So! I did it. I updated it. I redesigned it, added other needed clipboard actions, and just used icons instead of words. The way it works is you select an object and then press down on the screen with 1 finger. You release and your clipboard context menu appears. Its going to give the following actions.

Paste FX, Paste Style, Paste Inside, Paste, Copy, Cut, Duplicate, Deselect, and Delete.

So what you do is select your object, finger press release, hit the copy button, finger press release again, and then just paste it.

Or you can select your object, finger press release, hit the copy button, select a different object, finger press release again, and then just Paste FX, Paste Style, or Paste Inside.

Or you can just select your object, finger press release, and just cut, duplicate, deselect, or delete it.

Everythings right there at your fingertips. Its this finger press down release gesture that youll be doing  in your workflow to get to your actions. 

The reason why these actions are in this clipboard context menu is because Fitts Law. You can’t be having users go to the top left corner to the edit menu and reach these clipboard actions. Its too the edge and it requires an extra click to get to them. Its a lot for a simple action. This work flow of going to the top left corner to reach the edit menu to reach your actions is slow and too much. Its better if users just finger pressed on their screen, release, and all their clipboard actions are there in finger reach. Theres no reaching to the edge. Theres no clicking the edit menu icon. Its just finger press down, release, and all your actions are there. So users can easily duplicate, deselect, delete, copy, cut, and paste an object, style, or fx.

I want to note that I did redesign the icons the serif team uses in their app here in this context menu. Ill make a whole post later called “The clipboard paste command icons need to be redesigned" and ill explain why. Right now I’m focusing on updating the clipboard context menu. Let me know what you think. Below is an image of the old context menu and the updated context menu.

Context Menu Updated.jpg

Exactly, as a base idea. Like, if I wanted to be 'pedantic' I'd add some divider lines between different sections like the paste, etc but that's beside the point. You get it.

I REALLY like Vectornator's context menu that shows up underneath the selected object.  You don't even need to long press, as that's just another step + time wasted.

It also includes the alignment / distribution functions which makes sense

I sympathize for the coders that have to an overhaul but that's what the UI/UX needs. I think of a middle ground between a radial menu (like in the Concepts app!) and common basic functions popping up under an object.  There's way too many basic functions you have to dig to get to.

4 hours ago, SlvgDvb said:

if I wanted to be 'pedantic' I'd add some divider lines between different sections like the paste

I was using adode illustrators context toolbar as a guide for this design. They didnt use divider on theirs so I didnt use them here. I also didnt want to use dividers because the studios and tools in the affinity designer app dont have dividers between them. They have this big spacing instead. i think the spacing here in my photo is too squished that IT NEEDS A DIVIDER so maybe I should space them out a bit more?

I REALLY like Vectornator's context menu that shows up underneath the selected object.  You don't even need to long press, as that's just another step + time wasted.

I do too! I love the context menu when an object is selected. Its badly needed here in this app. I made a whole post about it here which youve already read.

It also includes the alignment / distribution functions which makes sense

Im currently designing a context toolbar for the move tool. Im debating if I should add the alignment and distribution buttons. Ill explain why in another post where I will tag you.

I sympathize for the coders that have to an overhaul but that's what the UI/UX needs.

Exactly! To the serif team, specifically the coders, Im sorry for all the redesign Im doing in these forum post but things arent working and its for the best. Theres A LOT that needs to be changed and improved. Im trying to make the app better for users. 

I think of a middle ground between a radial menu (like in the Concepts app!) and common basic functions popping up under an object.

I know exactly what you mean, my friend. For now, I just went with something basic and simple. I tried following this design. I cant get too advanced but its fun and exciting! The possibilities! 😊

There's way too many basic functions you have to dig to get to.

Exactly. I keep saying the serif team is playing this game of hide and go seek with its users. I dont want to play this game. i dont want them to hide our basic functions and have us go seek them. Its not fun. Im trying to bring out those basic functions by making all these helpful forum posts. 

2 hours ago, SlvgDvb said:

Thank you!

No. Thank YOU for talking to me, reading my post, liking them, and making me feel validated in what im trying to do here. Sometimes I feel like im just talking to myself. Like if no ones reading my post and if Im just wasting my time here with all these posts trying to make this app better. 😔Im trying.

2 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Sometimes I feel like im just talking to myself. Like if no ones reading my post and if Im just wasting my time here with all these posts trying to make this app better.

If you look at the index page for the ‘Feedback for Affinity Designer on iPad’ forum section, you’ll see that this topic has had 64 views at the time of writing. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you look at the index page for the ‘Feedback for Affinity Designer on iPad’ forum section, you’ll see that this topic has had 64 views at the time of writing. :)

I think I said "Like if no ones reading my post and if Im just wasting my time here" because it FEELS like no ones reading my posts because Im not getting any responses and it feels like its just me here. But yeah I do see the views on my posts.

31 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

it FEELS like no ones reading my posts because Im not getting any responses

Nah, we’re all just sitting here nodding sagely!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)