You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unwanted outlines when copying from Photo to Designer

Hi, @Lucas Sebastian and welcome to the forums.

There are probably remnants of the original backgrounds. If you retouch the masks where the old background still appears, you should get rid of it. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

11 hours ago, Komatös said:

Hi, @Lucas Sebastian and welcome to the forums.

There are probably remnants of the original backgrounds. If you retouch the masks where the old background still appears, you should get rid of it. 

Hello @Komatösand thank you for your welcome. Elsewhere i was told to try 'copy flattened' which i didnt find however 'copy merged' did prevent the lines from coming.

I dont totally understand how i should "retouch the masks' because i dont understand why when i select just a football player in a mask that the outline isnt hidden like everything else that was not in the selection.

But I want to learn the optimal and least destructive solution towards my aims which is why I ask, even though I already received one solution. Thank you mate

• How did you apply a mask?
    • Painted onto a mask layer
    • Used the pen tool to draw around the guys filled the curve and then created the mask from that layer?
  • Were the images fully within the canvas area? I ask this as all the layers are image layers and if they extend beyond the canvas and you used the brush to mask you may have missed parts of the image that are outside the canvas area.

just trying to figure out the issue but uploading the file is probably going to be the fastest route to an answer, you could make a sample file with a few guys and the issue displayed.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, firstdefence said:
  • How did you apply a mask?
    • Painted onto a mask layer
    • Used the pen tool to draw around the guys?
  • Were the images fully within the canvas area? I ask this as all the layers are image layers and if they extend beyond the canvas and you used the brush to mask you may have missed parts of the image that are outside the canvas area.

just trying to figure out the issue but uploading the file is probably going to be the fastest route to an answer, you could make a sample file with a few guys and the issue displayed.

I don't mind posting a few files, let me do so. 

These are all basic masks made with the Selection Brush Tool

I then use the Refine function

Then was copy and pasting that masked layer into Designer for my poster

I am not super adept in the right ways of masking and transferring, all ive gotten good at is making a quick selection haha

If youve read my latest comment a suugestion from Reddit has me using "Copy Merged" with success so far

Edit: All the Photo selections were from 'New from Clipboard' files of the original jpegs of the Players 

Thank you for your time

robinson mask aff.afphoto new faces nfl.afdesign

Edited by Lucas Sebastian

Ok I see what you have done, as an example, in the afdesign file,

• Select the pixel persona
  • Go to Wilson (orange top) 
  • Select the mask layer
  • Select the brush tool and paint black over the vertical green bar it will vanish because you have included it in the overall mask.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Ok I see what you have done, as an example, in the afdesign file,

• Select the pixel persona
  • Go to Wilson (orange top) 
  • Select the mask layer
  • Select the brush tool and paint black over the vertical green bar it will vanish because you have included it in the overall mask.

Alrighty thanks! Im right there with you, right now when I try the brush it results as a black curve that inhabits a new layer , im trying the "Vector Brush Tool" in black, am i supposed to be brushing this in Photo or Designer? Because unfortunately I have deleted and not saved all the  original Photo files where the masks were created

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 2.42.51 PM.png

edited for clarity and image

1 minute ago, Lucas Sebastian said:

Alrighty thanks! Im right there with you, right now when I try the brush it results as a black curve that inhabits a new layer , im trying the "Vector Brush Tool" in black, am i brushing this in Photo or Designer? Because unfortunately I have deleted and not saved all the  original Photo files where the masks were created

You are in designer, and in the pixel persona, not the draw persona, notice the icon just under Designer (coloured cubes)

1294588460_Screenshot2022-06-17at20_44_11.png.5a6ba09dc8d91182eb7e8218337b8564.png

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You are in designer, and in the pixel persona, not the draw persona, notice the icon just under Designer (coloured cubes)

1294588460_Screenshot2022-06-17at20_44_11.png.5a6ba09dc8d91182eb7e8218337b8564.png

Thanks  I was unaware unfortunately of this aspect of the app so Ive got a bit of learning to do.

I am now in the right persona but not affecting the mask as I wish yet still seeing the black of a paint brush and it keeps switching the wilson layer to a pixel and Im not seeing the mask layer after brushing

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Nevermind mate I just got the brush to do how I wanted, thank you kindly for your support. 

I didnt know anything about personas so in the Pixel Persona you can do some stuff like Photo editing or no? And will I need to be using the export persona? Thanks

2 minutes ago, Lucas Sebastian said:

Thanks  I was unaware unfortunately of this aspect of the app so Ive got a bit of learning to do.

I am now in the right persona but not affecting the mask as I wish yet still seeing the black of a paint brush and it keeps switching the wilson layer to a pixel and Im not seeing the mask layer after brushing

I'll make a short video for you. You have to be quite careful as it can get a bit confusing selecting the layers, masks, etc but slow and easy is the order of the day here.

Just now, Lucas Sebastian said:

Nevermind mate I just got the brush to do how I wanted, thank you kindly for your support. 

Ah great, take it steady and the pain will be over soon ;)

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

Ah great, take it steady and the pain will be over soon ;)

Youve saved the poster cause as I said there was no backups in Photo of the images and I didn't think I was going to be able to fix those lines everywhere except by painstaking editing so Im quite thrilled to learn this new skill from you , cheers

For future reference You can make masks with curves that you can edit on the fly, see the image and open the wagner example file, select the node tool and you can move the nodes to see how it masks the background. With this method you don't get the problem you face at the moment, the masks are easily tweakable and they look neater.

In Draw Persona I basically I drew around Wagner with the Pen Tool, you can adjust the nodes later but just go around and click fairly accurately, this has the added benefit of honing your pen skills to a razors edge. 

A few tips... set the stroke to about 1-2px and use a bright colour like pink, once you have created the curve remove the stroke and fill it with black, make sure the curve is above the footballer you are going to mask and select mask to below.

1264492991_Screenshot2022-06-17at22_17_48.png.b0c0cf8082db6c25a44fcbbd46a9cd53.png

wagner with curve mask.afdesign

3 hours ago, Lucas Sebastian said:

I didnt know anything about personas so in the Pixel Persona you can do some stuff like Photo editing or no? And will I need to be using the export persona? Thanks

The Personas help topic should tell you the basics of what you need to know about how to use each of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7