You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I typically make any adjustments to .tif files and save the finished result as a .jpg using the Export tool. These .jpg files are used to submit images to photo agencies.

Occasionally, however, an Affinity-created .jpg file cannot be uploaded to the agency website, even though the various parameters in the .jpg export tool are the same as other images. In addition, the same .tif file processed and saved as a .jpg file using Photoshop Elements can be uploaded to the agency website without any problems.

I have tried changing various setings in the Affinity .jpg export tool but without success.  Are there any settings to avoid in the Affinity export tool when exporting as a .jpg file to ensure maximum acceptance, or any other points I should be aware of?

1 hour ago, RichardGB said:

Occasionally, however, an Affinity-created .jpg file cannot be uploaded to the agency website, even though the various parameters in the .jpg export tool are the same as other images.

Do I understand right that the website generally accepts your Affinity JPG files but refuses only with specific files – though they used the same export settings?

Can you upload two images here, one which gets accepted and another which does not?
What agency are you using? What happens in detail if you upload without success?
Is the website possible doing any content or quality check during upload and thus deny a certain image?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I would have thought the Photo agencies would have criteria for jpg but I cannot think of anything that would get a jpg rejected. When the jpeg is rejected.

Are there any clues as to why?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@thomasoYes, the agency website usually accepts the Affinity-created jpg files but there are certain images which refuse to upload. I cannot upload samples of a 'stubborn' image itself, but I have uploaded screenshots of the various export settings which I have tried; none of the resulting jpg files could be uploaded. I have also uploaded a screenshot of the PSE settings, in case anyone can spot whether there are any significant differences.

Although at this stage I do not wish to name the agency, I have posted a similar query on its contributor forum. Others have also commented on occasional upload difficulties. Some put the problems down to internet connection speed, others to the agency's web-based image uploader, but all of these are possibilities rather than certainties.

Aff jpg settings JPG High quality Use document format.jpg

Aff jpg settings RGB 8-bit.jpg

Aff jpg settings Use document format Adobe RGB.jpg

Aff jpg settings Use document format Best quality.jpg

Aff jpg settings Use document format sRGB.jpg

PSE jpg settings.jpg

1 hour ago, RichardGB said:

Yes, the agency website usually accepts the Affinity-created jpg files but there are certain images which refuse to upload. (...) I have uploaded screenshots of the various export settings which I have tried;

If the website accepts Affinity jpgs usually but refuses with certain files only I doubt the export settings are relevant at all and I can't imagine of an export setting parameter which could make the website deny the upload, unless it inspects the file, e.g. artefacts caused by high compression rate (which is not the case with your quality setting of 100%).

Thus again I wonder whether this agency initiates a content check during upload – and again what happens in detail if you upload without success? For instance an error message? Created by and in the design of the agency, or rather the website or hosting provider, or locally from your computer?

@RichardGB, what is the file size of the PSE export that works vs. the size of the AP ones that don't? Is it possible the AP versions are just larger than the site will accept while the PSE ones are not?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

If the website accepts Affinity jpgs usually but refuses with certain files only I doubt the export settings are relevant at all and I can't imagine of an export setting parameter which could make the website deny the upload, unless it inspects the file, e.g. artefacts caused by high compression rate (which is not the case with your quality setting of 100%).

Thus again I wonder whether this agency initiates a content check during upload – and again what happens in detail if you upload without success? For instance an error message? Created by and in the design of the agency, or rather the website or hosting provider, or locally from your computer?

I tend to agree that the image processing software is not to blame, but I've posted the query here just in case anyone has found the same.

Next time I upload, I'll use FTP rather than the agency's web-based browser and see if this is more successful.

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

@RichardGB, what is the file size of the PSE export that works vs. the size of the AP ones that don't? Is it possible the AP versions are just larger than the site will accept while the PSE ones are not?

For the same jpg image:

PSE ~20MB
Affinity Photo ~28MB (although there was one combination of settings which created a ~30MB file - see screenshots above)

25 minutes ago, RichardGB said:

but I've posted the query here just in case anyone has found the same.

I try it once more: What happens when you upload without success? How exactly do you get aware that the website did not accept your image?

25 minutes ago, RichardGB said:

Affinity Photo ~28MB (although there was one combination of settings which created a ~30MB file

This info has a chance to get relevant only in comparison with an eventually file size limit of the website of the agency. (… which we in the forum don't know)

11 minutes ago, RichardGB said:

PSE ~20MB
Affinity Photo ~28MB (although there was one combination of settings which created a ~30MB file - see screenshots above)

So is it possible the web site imposes a file size limit that is less than 28 MB per file & that is what is causing the difference? What happens if just as a text) you use a lower quality setting in AP to make the file around 20 MB or less?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 hours ago, R C-R said:

So is it possible the web site imposes a file size limit that is less than 28 MB per file & that is what is causing the difference? What happens if just as a text) you use a lower quality setting in AP to make the file around 20 MB or less?

This is not apparent in the support documentation, nor has it been mentioned in their 'help' forums.

16 hours ago, thomaso said:

I try it once more: What happens when you upload without success? How exactly do you get aware that the website did not accept your image?

This info has a chance to get relevant only in comparison with an eventually file size limit of the website of the agency. (… which we in the forum don't know)

How do I know? There's a visual indicator showing whether the file is uploading.

As I said above, next time I'll try using FTP to upload.

6 hours ago, RichardGB said:

How do I know? There's a visual indicator showing whether the file is uploading.

Do you mean the upload never starts, stalls after starting, or something else?

Also, have you tried my suggestion of trying to upload a file exported from AP that is less than 20MB vs. one that is much larger, just as a test?

Affinity Photo