You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cant open my photos... Will not read files

I took some photos yesterday but am unable to open on my Mac.  They appear as AFPhotos (see pic attached) but Affinity Photo will not open them.... does anyone have any ideas here?  Could my memory card be corrupted? My canon EOS80D is also not reading them although at the time of taking them I could see them on the back of my camera.  There is one from yesterday  (see middle image) which show as the actual photo (rather than the question mark) but also unable to open that one on my computer or import into Affinity.  Its so frustrating :).

IMG_5085.jpeg

IMG_5084.jpeg

IMG_5082.jpeg

• Staff

Hi Katherine Hill,
Welcome to the forums!

If the files on your camera themselves can't be previewed etc then I'd imagine something may have gone wrong with the camera/SD card. Just to be sure would you mind providing a copy of one of the files so I try and get it to open? If you would rather not post it publicly let me know and I will provide a link to our private DropBox :)

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I've downloaded your image, and it seems as it's been corrupted. While the whole image is viewable in photo viewing apps such as FastStone Image Viewer, and XnView MP, there's not enough data in the RAW file to be developed. I've tried a couple of apps, and it just shows the upper left corner of the image, the rest is black. Another thing that indicates the file is corrupt, the file size being only 9.13MB. The resolution size is 6000 x 4000, which should give you a file size of 24MB.

Do you have another SD card to test to see if the card these were recorded to is bad? If other SD cards show the same, then something may have gone bad with your camera. Also try shooting some images in JPG, not RAW.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

8 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I've downloaded your image, and it seems as it's been corrupted. While the whole image is viewable in photo viewing apps such as FastStone Image Viewer, and XnView MP, there's not enough data in the RAW file to be developed. I've tried a couple of apps, and it just shows the upper left corner of the image, the rest is black. Another thing that indicates the file is corrupt, the file size being only 9.13MB. The resolution size is 6000 x 4000, which should give you a file size of 24MB.

Do you have another SD card to test to see if the card these were recorded to is bad? If other SD cards show the same, then something may have gone bad with your camera. Also try shooting some images in JPG, not RAW.

Thank you so much for your time.  I put the card in my camera today and took a quick pic in my home and it was fine, showed on my camera and on mc Mac.  I think it must have been a transient problem.. I shall not use the memory card for anything vital until I've tested it a few more times.  I will probably reformat it once Ive taken all the other images off the card. 

1 hour ago, Katherine Hill said:

Thank you so much for your time.  I put the card in my camera today and took a quick pic in my home and it was fine, showed on my camera and on mc Mac.  I think it must have been a transient problem.. I shall not use the memory card for anything vital until I've tested it a few more times.  I will probably reformat it once Ive taken all the other images off the card. 

I've had intermittent problems with an SD card - it was amazing how the only times it failed were when the shot mattered!  I haven't had to apply it yet, but since then I've had a zero tolerance policy towards card failures.  Rather than formatting the card in your camera, try using the SD Card Association's formatter on yourMac - the error checking is more extensive.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10