You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Impact font not printing correctly

I circled the problems with the IMPACT font that happens only when the file is printed from Affinity Photo or Designer.  Exporting it as a PDF prints correctly.  Notice that it happens with the first "C" but not the second "C".  On the bottom, it happens with the second "I" but not the first "I".   The only "N" also has an issue.  The work around is to convert the text to curves.  Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342  Windows 10.  Can you fix this?  First post, not sure if you need more info.

Thank you

image.jpeg

Edited by chicknpiza

@EmT Tried to find an older thread with a similar issue, but no luck.
If I remember correctly in that other issue having a TrueType font inside another shape (which is of course PS curves) resulted in some artifacts in the letter shapes like above.
It appeared that AD had an issue drawing the TT curves inside another PS curves shape.
In that case changing the font to the PS curves version (.otf) eliminated the problem.

So that issue may/or may not be in the bug tracker.
If this is another example of that situation it should be added to the bug tracker.

Problem identified

Where the bounding box of the zucchini image overlaps the text, it causes a skew (or what ever you want to call it) of the Impact font, and other fonts I tested too.  This only happens to the layers below the zucchini image.  If the zucchini image layer is moved behind the text, it doesn't cause a problem.

The zucchini image is an imported PNG file using the 'Place Image Tool'.  I obtained that PNG from an internet site (not sure if that has anything to do with it).

However, if I export the image as a PNG, PDF, or convert the text to curves, it prints without any problems as a single or multiple images per page.  My non-qualified opinion don't think this is a printer problem.  Brother all in one pinter fax scanner MFC -J825DW.  I do not have easy access to another printer.

Affinity File attached

Thank you!

image.png.b6dc9d2df0d63e3e20e8b1e645670202.png

IMPACT FONT TEST Zucchini Chips.afdesign

Edited by chicknpiza

Original zucchini file attached.  I redownloaded the zucchini file and the same problem. I downloaded a corn PNG from another website with the same matching problem as the zucchini.

I tried a lobster PNG and the same thing.  However a lobster AI format had artifacts that were not matching the bounding box like the other files.  Those artifacts are perfectly horizontal, even though I rotated the image about 45 degrees.

Zucchini.png

—Pngtree—vector graph sweet corn element_7125609.png

Lobster.png

Lobster.ai

• Staff

I've been looking into this issue and found a couple of related threads: 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/105296-unwanted-lines-appearing-only-on-print-out/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/104026-lines-in-text-when-printing/

From the results on those threads, it appears to be related to an issue with some printers being unable to Rasterize transparencies and thus leaving anomalies. 
https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/64504/pdf-from-indesign-looks-correct-but-prints-bounding-boxes-around-effects-and-tra

The workaround would be to first export as an uncompressed PDF or have the image layer sit behind the text layer. 

I will pass this on internally and see if I can find any more information on this. 

This has also been passed over to our developers for further investigation.