You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Guides disappear somehow related to an Artboard

Hi!

I just noticed something, I'm not sure about if this may be normal or possibly a bug. I suppose it's a bug.

I created a simple but precise shape (a rectangle with rounded corners). It has white edges and no filling. And I created a black rectangle as background, meant to be converted to an Artboard, below the rounded rectangle.

The problem is that all guidelines disappear in the moment I convert the background layer to an Artboard. They are not only invisible, they are also lost from the Guides Manager. Or, if I had created the Artboard before I created the guides, they disappear in the moment I create a new shape or curve after that.

I'm on Windows 10 with Designer vs. 1.10.5.1342.

Guides are specific to the Artboard they're created on, and to the Artboard that is currently selected in the Layers panel,  so I would not be surprised if they were removed when you turned a document with a Canvas into one with an Artboard.

However, if you had an Artboard with Guides, and add a new shape or curve to that Artboard, they should not disappear. As long as you are working within that Artboard, of course. If your new object is located outside of the Artboard in the Layers panel, the Guides might disappear temporarily until you re-Select the Artboard.

You can also see that if you create two Artboards, and put Guides in one of them. If you switch to the other Artboard the Guides in the other Artboard will disappear, until you select that Artboard again.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Guides are specific to the Artboard they're created on, and to the Artboard that is currently selected in the Layers panel,  so I would not be surprised if they were removed when you turned a document with a Canvas into one with an Artboard.

However, if you had an Artboard with Guides, and add a new shape or curve to that Artboard, they should not disappear. As long as you are working within that Artboard, of course. If your new object is located outside of the Artboard in the Layers panel, the Guides might disappear temporarily until you re-Select the Artboard.

You can also see that if you create two Artboards, and put Guides in one of them. If you switch to the other Artboard the Guides in the other Artboard will disappear, until you select that Artboard again.

Ah, great, that makes it clear. In fact the guides still appear on objects that are not grouped with the Artboard, as I see now. And if I group them to it, the guides are on the Artboard too. Seems I didn't really understand what Artboards are.

Thank you very much!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 7 months later...

Hey folks -

I just purchased & downloaded Designer v.2 and I am noticing as I zoom in and adjust kerning on type that is placed on a path on an artboard, that when I zoom out some of the guides I created are no longer there. Not sure if this is a v2.0.0 issue or a persistent issue that has carried over from this earlier conversation.

I recreated the guides and have tested them with a duplicate artboard (going back and forth a few times from one to the other). They seem to be staying right now, but what concerns me is I have no idea what I did to make them disappear, and there's no way of telling why this is happening as I'm using guides and artboards the way i've always used them in 1.0 (not to mention in Illustrator, Freehand, Inkscape, Corel, and every other illustration app for the past 20 years).

If I learn anything as I'm working i'll be sure to share back. Overall consensus of 2.0 is that it's a wonderful upgrade and at 40% off the entire suite, it's totally worth it.

Interesting. When i was adding text on a curve, i threw down a guide to make sure it was centered, and once I added the text to the shape, the guide disappeared. I had to re-select the shape to make it appear again. I know shapes disappear when text is aligned to a path, but do guides as well? It's like the UI forgets the guide sometimes.

• Staff

Hi @arezendes,

I can confirm that Guides are Artboard specific, meaning the guides applied to one Artboard will only shown when that Artboard, or an object on that Artboard is selected.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:27 PM, arezendes said:

When i was adding text on a curve, i threw down a guide to make sure it was centered, and once I added the text to the shape, the guide disappeared. I had to re-select the shape to make it appear again

If you're able to replicate this issue, could you provide a screen recording of the steps you're taking, and the results you're seeing for me please? :)

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!