You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrapping text with specific edge distance

In Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 on Mac I'm trying to wrap text around picture frame that has rounded corners. I'm having trouble getting the text to conform to the rounded corners. In Text wrap > show text wrap settings...  > I have tried both Wrap style of Tight and Edge but still get what I have illustrated in my image. Is there a way to get the text to come in tighter to the dark red lines I have added for reference?

wrapSample.jpg

• Staff

Hi @mann!

Within the Text Wrap dialog you can set the distance from text, if you set these values to 0mm you should find the text wraps closer to the shape.

Equally, you can manually edit the Text Wrap Outline, which determines how the text wraps to the object.

I've shown both these steps in the below recording - 

I hope this helps :) 

2 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @mann!

Within the Text Wrap dialog you can set the distance from text, if you set these values to 0mm you should find the text wraps closer to the shape...

Thanks Dan. I was trying to avoid having to create two boxes. One for my placed artwork and another box to constraint the wrap position. But it is good to know that that is an option if I have to go that route.

• Staff

No problem at all, many thanks for the file provided!

I can confirm this is happening due to your current 'Distance from Text' setting within the Text Wrap dialog.

Please select both rectangles, then open the Text Wrap dialog, make sure both are set to Tight, then set all the Distance from Text values to 0px.

You should now find the text wraps as expected :D

• Staff

Hi @mann, @Dan C
This issue is not related with the distance from the text but with a bug that generates a rectangular wrap outline around the rounded text frame in certain circumstances (which I'm logging now). The clip shown above doesn't not fix the issue, just disguises it. If you delete the red rounded rectangle after the steps shown in the video you will see that the text still doesn't wrap around the rounded corners of the grey rounded picture frame. This is because it has a rectangular wrap outline applied to it preventing the rounded parts from being filled with text. You can check this if you select the grey rectangle and click the Edit Wrap Outline button - the wrap outline shows a rectangle. To fix the issue you must press the Reset Outline Button to force the wrap outline to take the form of the rounded picture frame (again you can check this pressing the Edit Wrap Outline button again - it is now a rounded rectangle) and thus the text can now fill the rounded areas of the grey picture frame.

So to truly fix the issue you only have to select the rounded grey picture frame and click the Reset Outline Button in the main toolbar. Delete the rounded red rectangle and red rounded paths since they are not required.