You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know that Affinity Publisher is the next application that will be released.

3 years ago I moved from Windows to Mac and I was able to find 90 % of equivalent apps to replace my Windows programs.  There is one that I wasn't able to find a descent replacement for and that is Visio.  The Omnigroup have one but it lacks the template simplicity of Visio.  Plus to get the Pro version one must first purchase the app on the App Store then upgrade to the Pro version via the Standard version.

I would like to know if this is an app (Affinity Diagram) that would be of interest for you and the rest of the users out there.

I wouldn't count on a diagraming app from Affinity. Their target audience is the creative market and their stated intention is to create a competitor for adobe's creative cloud. Additionally before I finished reading your post I was already prepping to recommend omnigraffle. I suggest you give it another look. Finally you can buy it directly from them on their website and you can buy the Pro version straight up (i.e. not an inapp purchase)

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  Just wanted to know because there are not too many Mac options out there that really compete with Omnigraffle.

Unfortunately I have checked out Omnigraffle and in order to build my own stencils with with the option to rename the stencil objects, I would have to add an extra $100 for the Pro version which I find for the little extras is not worth it.  Plus I do not like in-app purchases.

I think that the future for Affinity does include a diagramming/CAD package - it's something we're already fleshing out the feature list for, but isn't just around the corner right now... :)

I'm begging you, please clarify what you mean by CAD.... a la Solidworks/AutoCAD/Inventor or something else?

• Staff

A CAD package is just in the very early planning stages, but I was just trying to let the OP know that it wasn't out of the question at all and that we've already talked it through... Specifics would be meaningless at the moment, but we know for sure that it needs to have rock-solid AutoCAD import/export in order to be even remotely useful - so that's a job for the future... :)  Serif already licenses the technology to import and export DWG/DXF files so it would not be the hardest thing in the world to implement, but it needs to be done thoroughly and methodically in order to be utterly consistent and dependable.

A CAD package is just in the very early planning stages, but I was just trying to let the OP know that it wasn't out of the question at all and that we've already talked it through... Specifics would be meaningless at the moment, but we know for sure that it needs to have rock-solid AutoCAD import/export in order to be even remotely useful - so that's a job for the future... :)  Serif already licenses the technology to import and export DWG/DXF files so it would not be the hardest thing in the world to implement, but it needs to be done thoroughly and methodically in order to be utterly consistent and dependable.

So it would be a serious CAD package.... https://2982-presscdn-29-70-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

WOW!  I leave for a few hours and come back to all this feedback.  Whether it is called Diagram or CAD, as long as it comes with pre-made stencils à la Visio and has the feature of creating custom stencils, I'm in.  As long too that it is one edition as with the other Affinity apps.